A firm level study of the determinants of export performance in machinery and transport equipment industry of India
AbstractThe paper seeks to analyse the determinants of export performance for large firms operating in the machinery and transpoprt equipment Industry of India. The study follows the neo-factor proportion and neo-technology approaches relevant for firm level export. The study establishes the importance of skill factors and technological collaborations in explaining the export performance of firms operating in the Indian machinery and transport equipment Industry. Skilled workers, whether they are employed for product innovation/adaptation, production engineering, or export marketing have contributed immensely to improved export performance in this industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47127.
Date of creation: 21 May 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Indian Economic Journal 3.36(1989): pp. 36-48
neo-factor proportions; neo-technology theory; firm level export; machinery and transport equipment; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-06-04 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2013-06-04 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2013-06-04 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2013-06-04 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRE-2013-06-04 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Vernon, 1970. "Introduction to "The Technology Factor in International Trade"," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 1-8 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Mohammad, Sharif, 1983. "Technological effort and disembodied technology exports: An econometric analysis of inter-industry variations in India," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 527-535, June.
- Glejser, Herbert & Jacquemin, Alexis & Petit, Jean, 1980. "Exports in an Imperfect Competition Framework: An Analysis of 1,446 Exporters," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 94(3), pages 507-24, May.
- Hal B. Lary, 1968. "Imports of Manufactures from Less Developed Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lary68-1.
- Dahlman, Carl J. & Sercovich, Francisco C., 1984. "Exports of technology from semi-industrial economies and local technological development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 63-99.
- Raymond Vernon, 1970. "The Technology Factor in International Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number vern70-1.
- Katz, Jorge M., 1984. "Domestic technological innovations and dynamic comparative advantage : Further reflections on a comparative case-study program," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 13-37.
- Seev Hirsch, 1974. "Capital or technology? Confronting the neo-factor proportions and neo-technology accounts of international trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 110(4), pages 535-563, December.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Kumar, Rajiv, 1981. "Firm-level export performance in an inward-looking economy: The Indian engineering industry," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 453-463, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.