Fuel mix characteristics and expected stock returns of European power companies
AbstractThis article investigates the impact of the fuel mix structure in power generation portfolios on expected stock returns for major European power companies. The 22 biggest publicly listed European power producers are examined between January 2005 and December 2010. Based on the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) and multiâ€factor market models, the systematic risk of the power companies relative to the overall market performance and other typical energy and macroeconomic risk factors is analyzed. The fullâ€information approach is used to determine technologyâ€specific betas and risk factor sensitivities from the sample. Although most companies are not exclusively in the power producing business, it is shown that the generation fuel mix has a significant impact on the historical stock returns of the investigated companies. In particular, the sample companies exhibit significant differences in the systematic risk of gas and nuclear generation technologies compared with renewable technologies measured by technologyâ€specific, delevered beta factors. This study extends existing literature and contributes new insights in two ways: Firstly, this is to our knowledge the first empirical analysis comparing the financial risk of different electricity generation technologies. Secondly, the results provide practical benefit to determine adequate riskadjusted capital costs for typical generation technologies. Therewith, this study is relevant for evaluating all kinds of power plant investments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Duisburg-Essen, Chair for Management Science and Energy Economics in its series EWL Working Papers with number 11056.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision: Oct 2011
power plant investments; asset pricing; fuel mix diversification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-10-22 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-ENE-2011-10-22 (Energy Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-52, September.
- Roques, Fabien A. & Newbery, David M. & Nuttall, William J., 2008. "Fuel mix diversification incentives in liberalized electricity markets: A Mean-Variance Portfolio theory approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1831-1849, July.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2001. "Risk factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 17-28, January.
- Bower, Dorothy H & Bower, Richard S & Logue, Dennis E, 1984. " Arbitrage Pricing Theory and Utility Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1041-54, September.
- Boyer, M. Martin & Filion, Didier, 2007.
"Common and fundamental factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 428-453, May.
- M. Martin Boyer & Didier Filion, 2004. "Common and Fundamental Factors in Stock Returns of Canadian Oil and Gas Companies," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-62, CIRANO.
- Gregor, ZOETTL, 2008.
"On investment decisions in liberalized electricity markets : the impact of price caps at the spot market,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2008028, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- ZOETTL, Gregor, 2008. "On investment decisions in liberalized electricity markets: the impact of price caps at the spot market," CORE Discussion Papers 2008037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 2008. "Oil prices and the stock prices of alternative energy companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 998-1010, May.
- Oren, Shmuel S & Smith, Stephen S & Wilson, Robert B, 1985. "Capacity Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 545-66, May.
- Leahy, John V & Whited, Toni M, 1996.
"The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 64-83, February.
- John V. Leahy & Toni M. Whited, 1995. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts," NBER Working Papers 4986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andreas Fritz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.