Financial Development and Economic Growth: Evidence from Ten New EU Members
AbstractThis paper reviews the main features of the banking and financial sector in ten new EU members, and then examines the relationship between financial development and economic growth in these countries by estimating a dynamic panel model over the period 1994-2007. The evidence suggests that the stock and credit markets are still underdeveloped in these economies, and that their contribution to economic growth is limited owing to a lack of financial depth. By contrast, a more efficient banking sector is found to have accelerated growth. Furthermore, Granger causality test indicate that causality runs from financial development to economic growth, but not in the opposite direction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 940.
Length: 39 p.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Financial Development; Economic Growth; Causality Tests; Transition Economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- P26 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Political Economy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2009-11-14 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-TRA-2009-11-14 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vlastimir Vukovic & Zoran Rajkovic, 2012. "Financial Sector Progress in Serbia Toward European Integration," Book Chapters, Institute of Economic Sciences.
- Asongu, Simplice A, 2013.
"Finance and growth: New evidence from Meta-analysis,"
52210, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu Simplice, 2013. "Finance and growth: New evidence from Meta-analysis," Working Papers 13/029, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Soultanaeva, Albina, 2010. "Financial Intermediation and Economic Growth: Evidence from the Baltic countries," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 817, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Çoban, Serap & Topcu, Mert, 2013. "The nexus between financial development and energy consumption in the EU: A dynamic panel data analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 81-88.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.