Copulas in finance and insurance
AbstractCopulas provide a potential useful modeling tool to represent the dependence structure among variables and to generate joint distributions by combining given marginal distributions. Simulations play a relevant role in finance and insurance. They are used to replicate efficient frontiers or extremal values, to price options, to estimate joint risks, and so on. Using copulas, it is easy to construct and simulate from multivariate distributions based on almost any choice of marginals and any type of dependence structure. In this paper we outline recent contributions of statistical modeling using copulas in finance and insurance. We review issues related to the notion of copulas, copula families, copula-based dynamic and static dependence structure, copulas and latent factor models and simulation of copulas. Finally, we outline hot topics in copulas with a special focus on model selection and goodness-of-fit testing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría in its series Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers with number ws086321.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Madrid, 126 - 28903 GETAFE (MADRID)
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/DEE/departamento.html
More information through EDIRC
Dependence structure; Extremal values; Copula modeling; Copula review;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew J. Patton, 2008.
"Copula-Based Models for Financial Time Series,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2008fe21, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation and model selection of semiparametric copula-based multivariate dynamic models under copula misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 125-154.
- Yu, Lining & Voit, Eberhard O., 2006. "Construction of bivariate S-distributions with copulas," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1822-1839, December.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/105441 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fabrizio Durante & José Quesada-Molina & Carlo Sempi, 2007. "A Generalization of the Archimedean Class of Bivariate Copulas," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 59(3), pages 487-498, September.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Joe, Harry, 2005. "Asymptotic efficiency of the two-stage estimation method for copula-based models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 401-419, June.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002.
"The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: applications,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-161, October.
- Dhaene, Jan & Denuit, Michel & Goovaerts, Marc & Kaas, R & Vyncke, D, 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance : applications," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/224321, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Joshua V. Rosenberg & Til Schuermann, 2004.
"A general approach to integrated risk management with skewed, fat-tailed risks,"
185, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Rosenberg, Joshua V. & Schuermann, Til, 2006. "A general approach to integrated risk management with skewed, fat-tailed risks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 569-614, March.
- A. Sancetta & Satchell, S.E., 2001. "Bernstein Approximations to the Copula Function and Portfolio Optimization," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0105, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sherman, Robert P, 1993. "The Limiting Distribution of the Maximum Rank Correlation Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 123-37, January.
- Koedijk, Kees & Kole, Erik & Verbeek, Marno, 2006.
"Selecting Copulas for Risk Management,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5652, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dhaene, Jan & Denuit, Michel & Goovaerts, Marc & Kaas, R & Vyncke, D, 2002.
"The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance : theory,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/224320, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
- Kaishev, Vladimir K. & Dimitrova, Dimitrina S. & Haberman, Steven, 2007. "Modelling the joint distribution of competing risks survival times using copula functions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 339-361, November.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2006. "The Copula-GARCH model of conditional dependencies: An international stock market application," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 827-853, August.
- Kallsen, Jan & Tankov, Peter, 2006. "Characterization of dependence of multidimensional Lévy processes using Lévy copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(7), pages 1551-1572, August.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation of copula-based semiparametric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 307-335, February.
- J. Dhaene & S. Vanduffel & M. Goovaerts, 2007.
Review of Business and Economics,
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Economie en Bedrijfswetenschappen, vol. 0(2), pages 265-278.
- Dhaene, Jan & Vanduffel, Steven & Goovaerts, Marc, 2007. "Comonotonicity," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/174894, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Rustam Ibragimov, 2005. "Copula-Based Dependence Characterizations and Modeling for Time Series," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2094, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Yang, Jingping & Cheng, Shihong & Zhang, Lihong, 2006. "Bivariate copula decomposition in terms of comonotonicity, countermonotonicity and independence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 267-284, October.
- Belzunce, Felix & Ortega, Eva-Maria & Pellerey, Franco & Ruiz, Jose M., 2006. "Variability of total claim amounts under dependence between claims severity and number of events," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 460-468, June.
- Paul Embrechts, 2009. "Copulas: A Personal View," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 639-650.
- Sancetta, Alessio & Satchell, Stephen, 2004. "The Bernstein Copula And Its Applications To Modeling And Approximations Of Multivariate Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 535-562, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.