Copula-Based Dependence Characterizations and Modeling for Time Series
AbstractThis paper develops a new unified approach to copula-based modeling and characterizations for time series and stochastic processes. We obtain complete characterizations of many time series dependence structures in terms of copulas corresponding to their finite-dimensional distributions. In particular, we focus on copula- based representations for Markov chains of arbitrary order, m-dependent and r-independent time series as well as martingales and conditionally symmetric processes. Our results provide new methods for modeling time series that have prescribed dependence structures such as, for instance, higher order Markov processes as well as non-Markovian processes that nevertheless satisfy Chapman-Kolmogorov stochastic equations. We also focus on the construction and analysis of new classes of copulas that have flexibility to combine many different dependence properties for time series. Among other results, we present a study of new classes of cop- ulas based on expansions by linear functions (Eyraud-Farlie-Gumbel-Mongenstern copulas), power functions (power copulas) and Fourier polynomials (Fourier copulas) and introduce methods for modeling time series using these classes of dependence functions. We also focus on the study of weak convergence of empirical copula processes in the time series context and obtain new results on asymptotic gaussianity of such processes for a wide class of beta mixing sequences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute of Economic Research in its series Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers with number 2094.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rosario Romera & Elisa M. Molanes, 2008. "Copulas in finance and insurance," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws086321, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Beare, Brendan K., 2009. "Copulas and Temporal Dependence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt87p829d4, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Margaret Meyer & Bruno Strulovici, 2013.
"The Supermodular Stochastic Ordering,"
Economics Series Working Papers
655, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meyer, Margaret A & Strulovici, Bruno, 2013. "The Supermodular Stochastic Ordering," CEPR Discussion Papers 9486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Margaret Meyer & Bruno Strulovici, 2013. "The Supermodular Stochastic Ordering," Discussion Papers 1563, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Beare, Brendan, 2008. "Copulas and Temporal Dependence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt2880q2jq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.