Multivariate Risks And Depth-Trimmed Regions
AbstractWe describe a general framework for measuring risks, where the risk measure takes values in an abstract cone. It is shown that this approach naturally includes the classical risk measures and set-valued risk measures and yields a natural definition of vector-valued risk measures. Several main constructions of risk measures are described in this axiomatic framework. It is shown that the concept of depth-trimmed (or central) regions from the multivariate statistics is closely related to the definition of risk measures. In particular, the halfspace trimming corresponds to the Value-at-Risk, while the zonoid trimming yields the expected shortfall. In the abstract framework, it is shown how to establish a both-ways correspondence between risk measures and depth-trimmed regions. It is also demonstrated how the lattice structure of the space of risk values influences this relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría in its series Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers with number ws063815.
Date of creation: Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Madrid, 126 - 28903 GETAFE (MADRID)
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/DEE/departamento.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Jarrow, 2002. "Put Option Premiums and Coherent Risk Measures," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 135-142.
- Embrechts, Paul & Puccetti, Giovanni, 2006. "Bounds for functions of multivariate risks," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 526-547, February.
- K. Mosler, 2003. "Central regions and dependency," Econometrics 0309004, EconWPA.
- Touzi, Nizar & Meddeb, Moncef & Jouini, Elyès, 2004. "Vector-valued Coherent Risk Measures," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/353, Paris Dauphine University.
- Elyès Jouini & Moncef Meddeb & Nizar Touzi, 2004.
"Vector-valued Coherent Risk Measures,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Burgert, Christian & Ruschendorf, Ludger, 2006. "Consistent risk measures for portfolio vectors," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 289-297, April.
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447.
- Bauerle, Nicole & Muller, Alfred, 2006. "Stochastic orders and risk measures: Consistency and bounds," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 132-148, February.
- Cascos, Ignacio & López-Díaz, Miguel, 2005. "Integral trimmed regions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 404-424, October.
- Y.M. Kabanov, 1999. "Hedging and liquidation under transaction costs in currency markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 237-248.
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
- Ignacio Cascos, 2006. "The Expected Convex Hull Trimmed Regions Of A Sample," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws066919, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.