Conditional stochastic dominance tests in dynamic settings
AbstractThis paper proposes nonparametric consistent tests of conditional stochastic dominance of arbitrary order in a dynamic setting. The novelty of these tests resides on the nonparametric manner of incorporating the information set into the test. The test allows for general forms of unknown serial and mutual dependence between random variables, and has an asymptotic distribution under the null hypothesis that can be easily approximated by a p-value transformation method. This method has a good finite-sample performance. These tests are applied to determine investment efficiency between US industry portfolios conditional on the performance of the market portfolio. Our analysis suggests that Utilities are the best performing sectors in normal as well as distress episodes of the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía in its series Economics Working Papers with number we1029.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Empirical processes; Hypothesis testing; Lower partial moments; Martingale difference sequence; P-value transformation; Stochastic dominance;
Other versions of this item:
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Olmo, Jose, 2013. "Conditional stochastic dominance tests in dynamic settings," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 1311, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Jose Olmo & Jesus Gonzalo, 2012. "Conditional stochastic dominance tests in dynamic settings," Economics Working Papers we1205, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1994.
"Kernel Estimation of Partial Means and a General Variance Estimator,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 1-21, June.
- Newey, W.K., 1992. "Kernel Estimation of Partial Means and a General Variance Estimator," Working papers 93-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Olivier Scaillet & Nikolas Topaloglou, 2005.
"Testing for Stochastic Dominance Efficiency,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp154, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Kopa, Miloš & Post, Thierry, 2009. "A Portfolio Optimality Test Based on the First-Order Stochastic Dominance Criterion," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(05), pages 1103-1124, October.
- Kaur, Amarjot & Prakasa Rao, B.L.S. & Singh, Harshinder, 1994. "Testing for Second-Order Stochastic Dominance of Two Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 849-866, December.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2005.
"Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 735-765.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2003. "Consistent testing for stochastic dominance under general sampling schemes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2208, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2003. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2003,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2011.
"Conditional stochastic dominance testing,"
Economics Working Papers
we1138, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Fishburn, Peter C, 1977. "Mean-Risk Analysis with Risk Associated with Below-Target Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 116-26, March.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Porter, R Burr, 1974. "Semivariance and Stochastic Dominance: A Comparison," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 200-04, March.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Agliardi, Elettra & Agliardi, Rossella & Pinar, Mehmet & Stengos, Thanasis & Topaloglou, Nikolas, 2012. "A new country risk index for emerging markets: A stochastic dominance approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 741-761.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.