TV-Broadcasting Competition and Advertising
AbstractWe analyse the rivalry between two TV-channels competing both on the market for audience and the market for advertising. We identify the nature of TV-programs emerging from this competition, and the quantity of advertising that TV-viewers will have to attend at equilibrium. Finally, we examine how a government's regulation of this quantity will affect programs' selection by the channels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 99-72.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, 2000. "Does press advertising foster the “pensée unique”?," CORE Discussion Papers 2000008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Spence, A Michael & Owen, Bruce, 1977. "Television Programming, Monopolistic Competition, and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 103-26, February.
- Böhme, Enrico & Müller, Christopher, 2010. "Comparing Monopoly and Duopoly on a Two-Sided Market without Product Differentiation," MPRA Paper 23568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., .
"The media and advertising: a tale of two-sidedmarkets,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1888, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P. & Gabszewicz, Jean J., 2006. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, Elsevier.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., 2005. "The media and advertising : a tale of two-sided markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2005088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 2005. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5223, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon P., ANDERSON & Jean J., GABSZEWICZ, 2005. "The media and advertising : a table of two-sided markets," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005060, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Nilssen,T. & Sorgard,L., 2000. "Strategic informative advertising in a TV-advertising duopoly," Memorandum 17/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," IDEI Working Papers 374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Nilssen,T. & Sorgard,L., 2001. "The TV industry : advertising and programming," Memorandum 18/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2003.
"TV Advertising, Program Quality, and Product-Market Oligopoly,"
- Nilssen, Tore & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "TV Advertising, Program Quality, and Product-Market Oligopoly," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt2zp943hj, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Christian Jansen, 2003. "Convergence and the Potential Ban on Interactive Product Placement in Germany," Law and Economics 0302002, EconWPA.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Virginia Economics Online Papers 358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Mangani, Andrea, 2003. "Profit and audience maximization in broadcasting markets," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 305-315, September.
- Brown, Keith & Alexander, Peter J., 2005. "Market structure, viewer welfare, and advertising rates in local broadcast television markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 331-337, March.
- Martin Richardson, 2004. "Cultural quotas in broadcasting II: policy," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2004-443, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Nilssen,T. & Sorgard,L., 2001. "Who are the advertisers?," Memorandum 19/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Cincera, Michele & Noury, Abdul, 2004. "Monopoly Practises and Competitive Behaviour in the French Satellite Pay-TV Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 4174, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tomas Kadlec, 2002. "Optimal Timing of TV Commercials: Symmetrical Model," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp195, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.