Is CalPERS a Sovereign Wealth Fund?
AbstractSovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs) are the subject of intense debate. While these funds are hard to define in precise terms, all agree they are government-sponsored pools of financial assets. With roughly $3 trillion under management today and forecasts that suggest this number could approach $10 trillion in under a decade, many wonder what role these public investment funds will play in private markets. Due to SWFsí government sponsorship, some fear that they will be used illegitimately to advance political, instead of commercial, agendas. This geopolitical concern is compounded by a general lack of transparency and a perception among Western analysts of weak accountability and poor governance practices...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Retirement Research in its series Issues in Brief with number ib2008-8-21.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision: Dec 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hovey House, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Phone: (617) 552-1762
Fax: (617) 552-0191
Web page: http://crr.bc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edwin M. Truman, 2008.
"A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices,"
PB08-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2009. "A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, Programme National Persée, vol. 9(1), pages 429-451.
- Juan Yermo, 2008. "Governance and Investment of Public Pension Reserve Funds in Selected OECD Countries," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 15, OECD Publishing.
- repec:crr:issbrf:ib2007-7-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott & Cagri Kumru, 2008. "Managing Public Investment Funds: Best Practices and New Challenges," NBER Working Papers 14078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Grzybowski) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.