Fiddling with Value: Violins as an Investment?
AbstractThis paper measures the returns to investing in violins using two different datasets. One dataset includes 75 observations on repeat sales of the same violins at auction starting in the mid-19th century and another dataset includes over 2000 observations on individual violin sales at auction since 1980. Overall real returns for the dataset on repeat sales for the period 1850-2006 have been approximately 3.5%. Real returns to the overall portfolio of individual sales since 1980 have been nearly 4%. While this return is lower than other standard investments, the price path has been stable with a slight negative correlation to stocks and bonds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 6583.
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Campbell, Rachel & Graddy, Kathryn & Hamilton, Jonathan, 2009.
"Repeat Sales Indexes: Estimation Without Assuming that Errors in Asset Returns Are Independently Distributed,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kathryn Graddy & Jonathan Hamilton & Rachel Pownall, 2012. "Repeat‐Sales Indexes: Estimation without Assuming that Errors in Asset Returns Are Independently Distributed," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 40(1), pages 131-166, 03.
- Dakshina De Silva & Caroline Elliott & Robert Simmons, 2013. "Restaurant wars," Working Papers 44312700, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Dimson, Elroy & Rousseau, Peter L. & Spaenjers, Christophe, 2013.
"The Price of Wine,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
1019, HEC Paris.
- Fabian Y.R.P. Bocart & Christian M. Hafner, 2012. "Volatility of price indices for heterogeneous goods," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.