Assessing Target Zone Credibility: Mean Reversion and Devaluation Expectations in the EMS
AbstractThe paper presents estimates of devaluation expectations for six EMS currencies relative to the Deutschmark, for the period March 1979 - May 1990. The estimation method is simple and operational, and consistently generates sensible results. The estimates are constructed by adjusting interest rate differentials by subtracting estimated expected rates of depreciation within the exchange rate band. The adjustment is non-trivial because exchange rates within ERM bands display mean reversion rather than random walk (unit root) behaviour. The adjustment is essential since expected rates of depreciation within the band are usually of about the same magnitude as interest rate differentials.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 580.
Date of creation: Jul 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Svensson, L.E., 1991. "Assessing Target Zone Credibility: Mean Reversion and Devaluation Expectations in the EMS," Papers 493, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhaohui Chen & Alberto Giovannini, 1993. "The Determinants of Realignment Expectations Under the EMS: Some Empirical Regularities," NBER Working Papers 4291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Knot, Klaas & de Haan, Jakob, 1995. "Interest rate differentials and exchange rate policies in Austria, The Netherlands, and Belgium," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 363-386, May.
- Lindberg, H. & Svensson, L.E. & Soderlind, P., 1991.
"Devaluation Expectations: the Swedish Krona 1982-1991,"
495, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Hans Lindberg & Lars E.O. Svensson & Paul Soderlind, 1991. "Devaluation Expectations: The Swedish Krona 1982-1991," NBER Working Papers 3918, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milind Shrikhande, 1997. "The cost of doing business abroad and international capital market equilibrium," Working Paper 97-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Antoine Magnier, 1992. "Théorie des zones cibles et fonctionnement du SME," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 104(3), pages 87-113.
- Gerlach, Stefan, 1995. "Adjustable pegs vs. single currencies: How valuable is the option to realign?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1155-1170, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.