AbstractIn this paper, we apply a collection of parametric (Normal, Normal GARCH, Student GARCH, RiskMetrics and high-frequency duration models) and non-parametric (empirical quantile, extreme distributions models) Value-at-Risk (VaR) techniques to intraday data for three stocks traded on the NewY ork Stock Exchange. Because of the small time horizon of the intraday returns (15 and 30 minute returns), intraday VaR can be useful to market participants (traders, market makers)involved in frequent trading. As expected, the volatility features an important intraday seasonality, which must be removed prior to using theVaR models. The estimation and assessment of the VaR techniques indicate that the data displays a high kurtosis (fat tails), and that VaR models should take this important feature into account. More particularly, Student GARCH, empirical quantile and extreme distributions models perform relatively well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2000045.
Date of creation: 00 Sep 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Intraday volatility; Intraday Value-at-Risk; Duration models; NYSE.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jón Daníelsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998.
"Value-at-Risk and Extreme Returns,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
98-017/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh, 1999. "Value-at-Risk and least squares tail index estimation," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 578, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Olivier Renault & Jean-Luc Prigent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000.
"An Autoregressive Conditional Binomial Option Pricing Model,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp364, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean -Luc Prigent & Olivier Renault & Olivier Scaillet, 1999. "An Autoregressive Conditional Binomial Option Pricing Model," Working Papers 99-65, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Holly,Sean & Weale,Martin (ed.), 2000. "Econometric Modelling," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521650694, December.
- Dominique M. Guillaume & Olivier V. Pictet & Michel M. Dacorogna, . "On the intra-daily performance of GARCH processes," Working Papers 1994-07-31, Olsen and Associates.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Morana, Claudio, 1999. "Computing value at risk with high frequency data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 431-455, December.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999.
"Value-at-Risk analysis of stock returns: Historical simulation, varinace techniques or tail index estimation ?,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
579, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Analysis of Stock Returns Historical Simulation,Variance Techniques or Tail Index Estimation?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 40, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- GIOT, Pierre, 1999. "Time transformations, intraday data and volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 1999044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Lange, Steve, 1999. "Forecasting financial market volatility: Sample frequency vis-a-vis forecast horizon," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 457-477, December.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Engle, Robert F. & Russell, Jeffrey R., 1997. "Forecasting the frequency of changes in quoted foreign exchange prices with the autoregressive conditional duration model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 187-212, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.