Supply-Side Performance and Structure in the Czech Republic (1995-2005)
AbstractIn this paper, we apply the aggregate production function to approximate the path of potential output. We use a time-varying NAIRU to derive the amount of potential labour and a newly developed measure of capital services to account for the productive impact of capital. In addition, trend total factor productivity is estimated. Production functions for the key sectors (Agriculture, Industry, etc.) are also calculated, exploring the growth accounting approach and decomposition of total factor productivity growth. During 1995--2005, the growth in potential output was constrained by a gradual increase in the NAIRU, a temporary drop in investment activity and, most importantly, by only a modest rise in total factor productivity. In this period, the Czech economy also suffered from a structural burden, i.e. all growth in total factor productivity was exclusively due to better utilisation of resources, given their initial allocation, with an even negative contribution of resource reallocation. Just from 2001 onwards, we observe substantial improvements in supply-side performance, except for the functioning of the labour market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Czech National Bank, Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 2006/4.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
. Capital services; factor allocation and utilisation; growth accounting; NAIRU; potential output; production function; structural changes; total factor productivity.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2007-01-23 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-MAC-2007-01-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-01-23 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 2003. "The Empirics of Growth: An Update," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 113-206.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998.
"Notes on Growth Accounting,"
NBER Working Papers
6654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vladimir Bezdek & Kamil Dybczak & Ales Krejdl, 2003. "Czech Fiscal Policy: Introductory Analysis," Working Papers 2003/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Kamil Galuscak & Lubomir Lizal, 2011.
"The Impact of Capital Measurement Error Correction on Firm-Level Production Function Estimation,"
2011/09, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Lubomir Lizal & Kamil Galuščák, 2012. "The Impact of Capital Measurement Error Correction on Firm-Level Production Function Estimation," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1026, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Magdalena Morgese Borys & Roman Horvath, 2008.
"The Effects of Monetary Policy in the Czech Republic: An Empirical Study,"
2008/4, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Magdalena Borys & Roman Horváth & Michal Franta, 2009. "The effects of monetary policy in the Czech Republic: an empirical study," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 419-443, November.
- Magdalena Morgese Borys & Roman Horvath, 2008. "The Effects of Monetary Policy in the Czech Republic: An Empirical Study," International Trade and Finance Association Conference Papers 1109, International Trade and Finance Association.
- Magdalena Morgese Borys & Roman Horvath, 2007. "The Effects of Monetary Policy in the Czech Republic: An Empirical Study," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp339, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Magdalena Morgese Borys & Roman Horváth, 2007. "The Effects of Monetary Policy in the Czech Republic: An Empirical Study," Working Papers IES 2007/26, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2007.
- Magdalena M Borys & Roman Horvath, 2008. "The Effects of Monetary Policy in the Czech Republic: An Empirical Study," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp922, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hájek Mojmír & Jiří Mihola, 2009. "Analysis of Total Factor Productivity Contribution to Economic Growth of the Czech Republic," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(6), pages 740-753.
- Dana Hajkova, 2008. "The Measurement of Capital Services in the Czech Republic," Working Papers 2008/11, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.