The Discriminatory Effect of Domestic Regulations on International Services Trade
AbstractIn order to develop trade in services, the GATS aims to eliminate progressively discriminatory regulations, which apply to foreign suppliers. This paper looks instead at the trade effect of domestic regulations, which apply to all firms indifferently and do not intend to exclude imports. We propose a theory-based empirical test to determine whether or not these domestic regulations affect more foreign suppliers than local ones, through the sign of their effect on the trade margins. We then apply it on French firm-level exports to OECD countries in professional services. Our econometric results show that domestic regulations in the importing markets do matter significantly for trade in services. They reduce both the decision to export and individual exports. A 10% percent increase in regulations reduces services export values by more than 7% and the probability of exporting with respect to that of not exporting by 2.8%. This result tends to prove that domestic regulations are discriminatory de facto even if they are not de jure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2012-02.
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Trade in services; Domestic Regulations; Firm Heterogeneity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crozet, Matthieu & Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2009.
"Quality sorting and trade: Firm-level evidence for French wine,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2012. "Quality Sorting and Trade: Firm-level Evidence for French Wine," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 609-644.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "Quality sorting and trade: Firm-level evidence for French wine," Sciences Po publications 7295, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2009. "Quality Sorting And Trade: Firm-Level Evidence For French Wine," Working Papers 53883, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "Quality Sorting and Trade: Firm-Level Evidence for French Wine," Working Papers 2009-14, CEPII research center.
- Giuliano Conti & Alessia Lo Turco & Daniela Maggioni, 2010. "Exporters in Services: new Evidence from Italian Firms," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 56(1), pages 73-98.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henk Kox & Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås, 2007.
"Services Trade and Domestic Regulation,"
OECD Trade Policy Papers
49, OECD Publishing.
- Sébastien Jean & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2004. "Regulation and Wage Premia," Working Papers 2004-12, CEPII research center.
- Kelle, Markus & Kleinert, Jörn, 2010.
"German firms in service trade,"
Economics Working Papers
2010,03, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert, 2010. "German Firms in Service Trade," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 56(1), pages 51-72.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Development Working Papers
201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Andrei A. Levchenko, 2004.
"Institutional Quality and International Trade,"
IMF Working Papers
04/231, International Monetary Fund.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Julien Martin, 2010.
"Markups, Quality and Transport Costs,"
2010-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Julien Martin, 2009. "Spatial Price Discrimination in International Markets," Working Papers 2009-21, CEPII research center.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2005. "Regulatory heterogeneity as obstacle for international services trade," CPB Discussion Paper 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
- Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007. "The Effect of Domestic Regulation on Services Trade Revisited," Working Papers 2007-08, CEPII research center.
- Vaillant, Marcel, 2012. "How to encourage network trade rules interconnections? an application to the case of non tariff barriers," MPRA Paper 47254, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.