Reference Pricing Versus Co-Payment in the Pharmaceutical Industry: Firm's Pricing Strategies
AbstractWithin a horizontally differentiation model and allowing for heterogeneous qualities, we analyze the effects of reference pricing reimbursement on firms’ pricing strategies. With this analysis we find inherent incentives for firms’ pricing behaviour, and consequently we shed some light on time consistency of such policy. The analysis encompasses different reference price rules. Results show that if drugs have equal quality, reference pricing may lead to higher prices. With quality differentiation both the minimum and linear policies unambiguously lead to higher prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Health Economics, University of York in its series Working Papers with number 027cherp.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2008-02-16 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IND-2008-02-16 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2008-02-16 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ma, Ching-to Albert, 1994.
"Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 93-112, Spring.
- Ching-to Albert Ma, 1994. "Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives," Papers 0047, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1984. "The principle of minimum differentiation revisited," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 345-368, April.
- Fiona M. Scott Morton, 1999. "Entry Decisions in the Generic Pharmaceutical Industry," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm119, Yale School of Management.
- Birg, Laura, 2013. "Pharmaceutical regulation and health policy objectives," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 183, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- David Bardey & Bruno Jullien & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur, 2013.
"Health insurance and diversity of treatment: a policy mix perspective,"
010549, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- David Bardey & Bruno Jullien & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur, 2013. "Health Insurance and Diversity of Treatment: A Policy Mix Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 4111, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.