Reference pricing and firms' pricing strategies
AbstractWithin a horizontal differentiation model and allowing for heterogeneous qualities, we analyze the effects of reference pricing reimbursement on firms' pricing strategies. With this analysis we find inherent incentives for firms' pricing behavior, and consequently we shed some light on the time consistency of such policy. The analysis encompasses different reference price rules: (i) reference price as the minimum of the observed prices in the market, (ii) reference price as a linear combination of firms' prices. Results show that under the "minimum policy" firms are not able to coordinate on higher prices while the "linear policy", implicitly, provides a coordination device. We have also found that, relatively to the "linear policy", when the reference price is the minimum of observed prices, after policy implementation, total and private expenditures are higher and consumer surplus and firms' profits are lower. With quality differentiation both the minimum and linear policies unambiguously lead to higher prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560
Reference pricing Pricing strategies Market coverage Pharmaceutical expenditure;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marisa Miraldo, 2007. "Reference Pricing Versus Co-Payment in the Pharmaceutical Industry: Price, Quality and Market Coverage," Working Papers 025cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Fiona M. Scott Morton, 1999. "Entry Decisions in the Generic Pharmaceutical Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 421-440, Autumn.
- Brekke, Kurt R & Königbauer, Ingrid & Straume, Odd Rune, 2005.
"Reference Pricing of Pharmaceuticals,"
Working Papers in Economics
19/05, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Ma, Ching-to Albert, 1994.
"Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 93-112, Spring.
- Ching-to Albert Ma, 1994. "Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives," Papers 0047, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Jorge Mestre, 2003. "Reference prices: The Spanish way," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(1), pages 125-149, January.
- Begoña Garcia Mariñoso & Izabela Jelovac & Pau Olivella, 2011.
"External referencing and pharmaceutical price negotiation,"
- Begoña Garcia Mariñoso & Izabela Jelovac & Pau Olivella, 2011. "External referencing and pharmaceutical price negotiation," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 737-756, June.
- Garcia Marinoso, Begona & Jelovac, Izabella & Olivella, Pau, 2011. "External referencing and pharmaceutical price negociation," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5987, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Tor Helge Holmås & Odd Rune Straume, 2010.
"Reference Pricing, Competition, and Pharmaceutical Expenditures: Theory and Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3258, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Holmas, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2011. "Reference pricing, competition, and pharmaceutical expenditures: Theory and evidence from a natural experiment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 624-638.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Holmas, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2011. "Reference pricing, competition, and pharmaceutical expenditures: Theory and evidence from a natural experiment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 624-638, August.
- Granlund, David & Köksal, Miyase Yesim, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform - A Kick or A Muff for Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals?," HUI Working Papers 49, HUI Research.
- Matteo Galizzi & Simone Ghislandi & Marisa Miraldo, 2011. "Effects of Reference Pricing in Pharmaceutical Markets," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 17-33, January.
- Paolo Buonanno & Matteo M. Galizzi, 2010.
"Advocatus, et non latro? Testing the Supplier-Induced-Demand Hypothesis for Italian Courts of Justice,"
2010.52, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Paolo Buonanno & Matteo M. Galizzi, 2009. "Advocatus, et non latro? Testing the supplier-induced demand hypothesis for Italian courts of justice," Working Papers 0914, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Herr, Annika & Suppliet, Moritz, 2012. "Pharmaceutical prices under regulation: Tiered co-payments and reference pricing in Germany," DICE Discussion Papers 48, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Graf, Julia, 2012. "The effects of rebate contracts on the health care system," DICE Discussion Papers 45, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013.
"Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79937, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Mendez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2014. "Regulation of pharmaceutical prices: Evidence from a reference price reform in Denmark," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 174-187.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Mendez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas, 2010. "Regulation of pharmaceutical prices: Evidence from a reference price reform in Denmark," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-062, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Mendez & Thomas Rønde, 2010. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," CIE Discussion Papers 2010-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Méndez & Thomas Rønde & Hannes Ullrich, 2013. " Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," Working Papers 330, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," IZA Discussion Papers 7248, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ghislandi, Simone, 2011. "Competition and the Reference Pricing Scheme for pharmaceuticals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1137-1149.
- Herr, A.; & Suppliet, M.;, 2011. "Co-Payment Exemptions and Reference Prices: an Empirical Study of Pharmaceutical Prices in Germany," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/18, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2009. "REFERENCE PRICING - Making Parallel Trade in Pharmaceuticals Work," Working Papers in Economics 367, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 05 Jan 2011.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform: A kick or a muff for price competition in pharmaceuticals," Working Papers in Economics 496, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Simone Ghislandi & Patrizio Armeni & Claudio Jommi, 2013. "The impact of generic reference pricing in Italy, a decade on," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 959-969, December.
- Julia Graf, 2014. "The effects of rebate contracts on the health care system," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 15(5), pages 477-487, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.