Structural Separation and Access in Telecommunications Markets
AbstractThis paper presents a basic framework to assess whether structural (vertical) separation is desirable. It is discussed within the setting of fixed telecommunications markets. From an economist’s perspective, the key question that underlies the case for structural separation is: is there a persistent bottleneck? The obvious candidate is the ‘local loop’, or local access network. If yes then it makes sense to compare the costs and benefits of structural separation. The framework provides a set of options that the regulator can use strategically, by using the threat of a break-up to influence an incumbent’s competitive stance in the wholesale market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1554.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-10-04 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2005-10-04 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2005-10-04 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, June.
- Knieps, Günter, 2002. "Does the system of letter conveyance constitute a bottleneck resource?," Discussion Papers 88, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- de Bijl, Paul W.J. & Peitz, Martin, 2005.
"Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges,"
2441, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bijl, P.W.J. de & Peitz, M., 2005. "Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges," Discussion Paper 2005-008, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- de Bijl, Paul W.J. & Peitz, Martin, 2005. "Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges," MPRA Paper 2511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Witold J. Henisz & Bennet A. Zelner, 2001. "The Institutional Environment for Telecommunications Investment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 123-147, 03.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2004. "Service-based vs. facility-based competition in local access networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 287-306, June.
- Russell Pittman, 2001. "Vertical Restructuring of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Industrial Organization 0111002, EconWPA.
- Faulhaber, Gerald R., 2003. "Policy-induced competition: the telecommunications experiments," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 73-97, March.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1997. "Valuing the Effect of Regulation on New Services in Telecommunications," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 1-54.
- Machiel Mulder & Victoria Shestalova & Mark Lijesen, 2005. "Vertical separation of the energy-distribution industry; an assessment of several options for unbundling," CPB Document 84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2001. "Regulation and innovation in the telecommunications industry," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 167-184, April.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira & João Vareda, 2011. "Can Vertical Separation Reduce Non-Price Discrimination and Increase Welfare?," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2011_06, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Paul de Bijl, 2011. "Broadband Policy in the Light of the Dutch Experience with Telecommunications Liberalization," CPB Discussion Paper 169, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Gonçalves, Ricardo & Nascimento, Álvaro, 2010.
"The momentum for network separation: A guide for regulators,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 355-365, August.
- Ricardo Gonçalves & Álvaro Nascimento, 2009. "The momentum for network separation: a guide for regulators," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 03, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
- Harnisch, Christian, 2009. "Funktionale Separierung als strategisches Regulierungsinstrument auf dem europäischen Telekommunikationsmarkt," Arbeitspapiere 83, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.