Regulation and innovation in the telecommunications industry
AbstractThis paper aims to introduce issues that relate regulation and innovation in the telecommunications industry. We try to address the following question: which types of regulatory schemes are likely to promote innovation in a fast-growing telecommunications industry? Section 2 analyses ex ante control by sector-specific regulation and ex post control by competition policies. Section 3 deals with the importance of compatibility hence regulation of standards in the telecommunications industry. Section 4 discusses the major issues pertaining to the relation between innovation and pricing on the one hand, and innovation and unbundling on the other.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Telecommunications Policy.
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ricardo Paredes, 2002. "A further step to deregulation, or the risk to destroy the incumbent: Chile’s Local Telephony Market," Working Papers wp194, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2005.
"Unbundling the local loop,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 173-199, January.
- Paul de Bijl, 2005. "Structural Separation and Access in Telecommunications Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 1554, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pennings,Jacqueline & Kranenburg,Hans,van & Hagedoorn,John, 2005. "Past, Present and Future of the Telecommunications Industry," Research Memorandum 015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Baranes, Edmond & Bourreau, Marc, 2005.
"An Economist's Guide to Local Loop Unbundling,"
2440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dierk Bauknecht, 2011. "Incentive Regulation and Network Innovations," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/02, European University Institute.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "A General Framework for Regulation and Liberalization in Network Industries," Working Papers 0016, Swiss Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.