Privatization in Denmark, 1980-2002
AbstractDenmark is one of the most developed welfare states, but also a rather capitalistic state with little public ownership outside the traditional fields of the public sector and the natural monopolies of the network industries. The low level of public ownership corresponds to peoples’ attitude in polls. Nevertheless, 12 privatizations of state companies have been made along with everybody else. No statistics on privatization have been previously published in Denmark. Most of the 12 privatizations are small, and the telephone company provides 76 percent of the total revenue. In the municipal sector, however, most privatization activity appears to be outsourcing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1127.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Privatization; outsourcing; capitalist values;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paldam, Martin, 2003. "Economic freedom and the success of the Asian tigers: an essay on controversy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 453-477, September.
- Goergens, Tue & Paldam, Martin & Würtz, Allan, . "How does Public Regulation affect Growth?," Economics Working Papers, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus 2003-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Henrik Christoffersen & Martin Paldam & Allan Würtz, 2007. "Public versus private production and economies of scale," Public Choice, Springer, Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 311-328, March.
- Christoffersen, Henrik & Paldam, Martin, 2003. " Markets and Municipalities: A Study of the Behavior of the Danish Municipalities," Public Choice, Springer, Springer, vol. 114(1-2), pages 79-102, January.
- Domberger, Simon & Jensen, Paul, 1997. "Contracting Out by the Public Sector: Theory, Evidence, Prospects," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 67-78, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.