Markets and Municipalities: A Study of the Behavior of the Danish Municipalities
AbstractThe complex pattern of Market Orientation of the 275 Danish municipalities is analyzed. An MO-variable is constructed from a poll covering 12 tasks, where municipalities are free to produce the service or purchase it on the market. Six potential explanations of the MO-pattern are operationalized. Four of those work: (1) MO is a modernization, (2) spreading by diffusion. (3) MO increases if the municipality is under economic pressure. (4) MO stays low if the fraction of the population that depends upon the public sector is large. While stakeholder/pressure group politics thus works, explanations based on ideology/partisanship fail. In the integrated Copenhagen metropolitan area most explanations fail. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 114 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda & Melania Mur, 2009.
"¿Por qué se privatizan servicios en los municipios (pequeños)?Evidencia empírica sobre residuos sólidos y agua,"
IREA Working Papers
200908, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda & Melania Mur, 2010. "¿Por qué se privatizan servicios en los municipios (pequeños)? Evidencia empírica sobre residuos sólidos y agua," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 192(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Andrés Picazo-Tadeo & Francisco González-Gómez & Jorge Wanden-Berghe & Alberto Ruiz-Villaverde, 2012. "Do ideological and political motives really matter in the public choice of local services management? Evidence from urban water services in Spain," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 151(1), pages 215-228, April.
- Germa Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2008.
"Reforming the local public sector: economics and politics in privatization of water and solid waste,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 45-65.
- Germa Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2008. "Reforming the local public sector: economics and politics in privatization of water and solid waste," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 45-65.
- Henrik Christoffersen & Martin Paldam & Allan Würtz, 2007. "Public versus private production and economies of scale," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 311-328, March.
- Anders Villadsen & Jesper Hansen & Niels Mols, 2010. "When do Public Managers Imitate Each Other? Mimetic Decision Making in Contracting Decisions of Danish Municipalities," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 357-376, December.
- Elinder, Mikael & Jordahl, Henrik, 2012.
"Political Preferences and Public Sector Outsourcing,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6632, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elinder, Mikael & Jordahl, Henrik, 2013. "Political preferences and public sector outsourcing," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 43-57.
- Elinder, Mikael & Jordahl, Henrik, 2011. "Political Preferences and Public Sector Outsourcing," Working Paper Series 877, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009.
"Factors explaining local privatization: a meta-regression analysis,"
Springer, vol. 139(1), pages 105-119, April.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2006. "Factors explaining local privatization: A meta-regression analysis," Working Papers CREAP2006-03, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2006.
- Henrik Christoffersen & Martin Paldam, 2004. "Privatization in Denmark, 1980-2002," CESifo Working Paper Series 1127, CESifo Group Munich.
- Niklas Potrafke, 2010. "Does government ideology influence deregulation of product markets? Empirical evidence from OECD countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 135-155, April.
- Germa Bel & Anton Costas, 2006. "Do Public Sector Reforms Get Rusty? Local Privatization in Spain," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.