Is Private Delivery of Public Services Really Cheaper? Evidence from Public Road Maintenance in Denmark
AbstractIt is a general finding that cost savings may be obtained by involving the private sector in public service production. This fact should be of particular interest to countries with large public sectors, such as the Scandinavian countries, where private involvement has a large potential. This paper investigates this potential by focusing on the Danish road sector. 275 municipalities are responsible for the maintenance of approximately 60,000 km of Denmark's 70,000 km public roads. The analysis confirms the international evidence: Involving the private sector also seems to make it possible for the public sector to obtain large cost savings in the Scandinavian countries. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 115 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohlsson, Henry, 1998.
"Ownership and Production Costs - Choosing Between Public Production and Contracting Out,"
Working Paper Series
1998:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Henry Ohlsson, 2003. "Ownership and Production Costs: Choosing between Public Production and Contracting-Out in the Case of Swedish Refuse Collection," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 24(4), pages 451-476, December.
- Ohlsson, H., 1998. "Ownership and Production Costs Choosing Between Public Production and Contracting Out," Papers 1998-6, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Vining, Aidan R & Boardman, Anthony E, 1992. " Ownership versus Competition: Efficiency in Public Enterprise," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 205-39, March.
- Domberger, Simon & Jensen, Paul, 1997. "Contracting Out by the Public Sector: Theory, Evidence, Prospects," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 67-78, Winter.
- Paul H. Jensen & Robin E. Stonecash, 2004. "The Efficiency of Public Sector Outsourcing Contracts: A Literature Review," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2004n29, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Jordahl, Henrik, 2011.
"Outsourcing Public Services: Ownership, Competition, Quality and Contracting,"
2011:20, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Jordahl, Henrik, 2011. "Outsourcing Public Services: Ownership, Competition, Quality and Contracting," Working Paper Series 874, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Jamasb, T. & Söderberg, M., 2009. "Yardstick and Ex-post Regulation by Norm Model: Empirical Equivalence, Pricing Effect, and Performance in Sweeden," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0908, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.