Firm Size and Judicial Efficiency in Italy: Evidence from the Neighbour's Tribunal
AbstractWe investigate the causal relationship between judicial efficiency and firm size across Italian municipalities, exploiting spatial discontinuities in tribunals' jurisdiction for identification. Results show that halving the length of civil proceedings, average firm size would increase by around 8-12%, everything else equal. Results are robust to a number of different specifications, based on two different databases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE in its series SERC Discussion Papers with number 0108.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/SERC/publications/default.asp
Justice efficiency; Firm size; Spatial discontinuity approach; Italy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K4 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-05-15 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2012-05-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-LAW-2012-05-15 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kee-Hong Bae & Vidhan K. Goyal, 2009. "Creditor Rights, Enforcement, and Bank Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(2), pages 823-860, 04.
- Fabbri, Daniela & Padula, Mario, 2004.
"Does poor legal enforcement make households credit-constrained?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2369-2397, October.
- Daniela FABBRI & Mario PADULA, 2003. "Does Poor Legal Enforcement Make Households Credit-Constrained?," FAME Research Paper Series rp81, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Raffaela Giordano & Pietro Tommasino, 2011.
"Public sector efficiency and political culture,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
786, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sandra E. Black, 1997.
"Do better schools matter? Parental valuation of elementary education,"
9729, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sandra E. Black, 1999. "Do Better Schools Matter? Parental Valuation Of Elementary Education," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 577-599, May.
- Simeon Djankov & Oliver Hart & Caralee McLiesh & Andrei Shleifer, 2006.
"Debt Enforcement Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
12807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniela Fabbri, 2010. "Law Enforcement and Firm Financing: Theory and Evidence," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 776-816, 06.
- Patrizio Pagano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2001.
"Firm Size Distribution and Growth,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
394, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
7563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 526-556, June.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital In Financial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," CRSP working papers 511, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry Overman, 2006.
"Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation Using Microgeographic Data,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0748, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry G. Overman, 2011. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation using Microgeographic Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(555), pages 1017-1046, 09.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry G Overman, 2006. "Assessing the effects of local taxation using microgeographic data," Working Papers tecipa-247, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent & Overman, Henry G., 2006. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation Using Microgeographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 5856, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry G. Overman, 2010. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation using Microgeographic Data," Working Papers 2010-47, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Laeven, Luc & Woodruff, Christopher, 2004.
"The quality of the legal system, firm ownership, andfirm size,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3246, The World Bank.
- Luc Laeven & Christopher Woodruff, 2007. "The Quality of the Legal System, Firm Ownership, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 601-614, November.
- Daniel Berkowitz & Johannes Moenius & Katharina Pistor, 2006. "Trade, Law, and Product Complexity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 363-373, May.
- Silvia Magri, 2010. "Debt Maturity Choice of Nonpublic Italian Firms," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(2-3), pages 443-463, 03.
- Federico Cingano & Paolo Pinotti, 2012. "Trust, Firm Organization and the Structure of Production," Working Papers 053, "Carlo F. Dondena" Centre for Research on Social Dynamics (DONDENA), Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan, 2002.
"Courts and Relational Contracts,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 221-277, April.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1996.
"Firm Size, Rivalry and the Extent of the Market in Endogenous Technological Change,"
96-07, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1999. "Firm size, rivalry and the extent of the market in endogenous technological change," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(9), pages 1747-1773, October.
- Jun Qian & Philip E. Strahan, 2007. "How Laws and Institutions Shape Financial Contracts: The Case of Bank Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(6), pages 2803-2834, December.
- Daniela Fabbri, 2010. "Law Enforcement and Firm Financing: Theory and Evidence," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(4), pages 776-816, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.