A Minimum Power Divergence Class of CDFs and Estimators for Binary Choice Models
AbstractThe Cressie-Read (CR) family of power divergence measures is used to identify a new class of statistical models and estimators for competing explanations of the data in binary choice models. A large flexible class of cumulative distribution functions and associated probability density functions emerge that subsumes the conventional logit model, and forms the basis for a large set of estimation alternatives to traditional logit and probit methods. Asymptotic properties of estimators are identified, and sampling experiments are used to provide a basis for gauging the finite sample performance of the estimators in this new class of statistical models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley in its series Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series with number qt7bc2828q.
Date of creation: 08 Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 207 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley, CA 94720-3310
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
binary choice models and estimators; conditional moment equations; squared error loss; Cressie-Read statistic; information theoretic methods; minimum power divergence;
Other versions of this item:
- Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Judge, George G, 2008. "A minimum power divergence class of CDFs and estimators for binary choice models," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1059, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Gozalo & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Local Nonlinear Least Squares Estimation: Using Parametric Information Nonparametrically," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1075, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1991.
"Uniform Convergence in Probability and Stochastic Equicontinuity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1161-67, July.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "Uniform Convergence In Probability And Stochastic Equicontinuity," Papers 342, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Richard Smith, 2005.
"Efficient information theoretic inference for conditional moment restrictions,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP14/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Smith, Richard J., 2007. "Efficient information theoretic inference for conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 430-460, June.
- Klein, R.W. & Spady, R.H., 1991.
"An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models,"
70, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Klein, Roger W & Spady, Richard H, 1993. "An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 387-421, March.
- Han, Aaron K., 1987. "Non-parametric analysis of a generalized regression model : The maximum rank correlation estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 303-316, July.
- Gabler, Siegfried & Laisney, Francois & Lechner, Michael, 1993. "Seminonparametric Estimation of Binary-Choice Models with an Application to Labor-Force Participation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 61-80, January.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- McFadden, Daniel L., 1984. "Econometric analysis of qualitative response models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 24, pages 1395-1457 Elsevier.
- Yuan, Ke-Hai & Jennrich, Robert I., 1998. "Asymptotics of Estimating Equations under Natural Conditions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 245-260, May.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.