SNP and SML estimation of univariate and bivariate binary-choice models
AbstractWe discuss the semi-nonparametric approach of Gallant and Nychka (1987, Econometrica 55: 363-390), the semiparametric maximum likelihood ap- proach of Klein and Spady (1993, Econometrica 61: 387-421), and a set of new Stata commands for semiparametric estimation of three binary-choice models. The first is a univariate model, while the second and the third are bivariate models without and with sample selection, respectively. The proposed estimators are root-n consistent and asymptotically normal for the model parameters of interest under weak assumptions on the distribution of the underlying error terms. Our Monte Carlo simulations suggest that the efficiency losses of the semi-nonparametric and the semiparametric maximum likelihood estimators relative to a maximum like- lihood correctly specified estimator of a parametric probit are rather small. On the other hand, a comparison of these estimators in non-Gaussian designs suggests that semi-nonparametric and semiparametric maximum likelihood estimators sub- stantially dominate the parametric probit maximum likelihood estimator. Copyright 2008 by StataCorp LP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by StataCorp LP in its journal Stata Journal.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miranda, Alfonso & Zhu, Yu, 2013.
"The Causal Effect of Deficiency at English on Female Immigrants' Labor Market Outcomes in the UK,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7841, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alfonso Miranda & Yu Zhu, 2013. "The Causal Effect of Deficiency at English on Female Immigrants’ Labour Market Outcomes in the UK," Studies in Economics 1301, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Luciana Méndez Errico, 2013. "The Impacts of Social Networks on Immigrants’ Employment Prospects: The Spanish Case 1997-2007," Working Papers wpdea1301, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Franco Peracchi, 2012.
"Estimating Engel curves under unit and item nonresponse,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(7), pages 1076-1099, November.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Franco Peracchi, 2010. "Estimating Engel curves under unit and item nonresponse," EIEF Working Papers Series 1004, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Nov 2010.
- Gregory Connor & Thomas Flavin, 2013. "Irish Mortgage Default Optionality," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n243-13.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- A. Sharma; & L. Siciliani; & A. Harris ;, 2011.
"Waiting times and socioeconomic status: does sample selection matter?,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
11/22, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Sharma, Anurag & Siciliani, Luigi & Harris, Anthony, 2013. "Waiting times and socioeconomic status: Does sample selection matter?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 659-667.
- Samantha Leorato & Franco Peracchi & Andrei V. Tanase, 2010.
"Asymptotically Efficient Estimation of the Conditional Expected Shortfall,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1013, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Dec 2010.
- Leorato, Samantha & Peracchi, Franco & Tanase, Andrei V., 2012. "Asymptotically efficient estimation of the conditional expected shortfall," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 768-784.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Falkowski, Jan & Ferto, Imre, 2012.
"What causes asymmetric price transmission in agro-food sector? Meta-analysis perspective,"
86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK
134765, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Zoltan Bakucs & Imre Ferto & Jan Falkowski, 2013. "What causes asymmetric price transmission in agro-food sector? Meta-analysis perspective," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1303, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Valeria Perotti, 2010.
"Estimation of ordered response models with sample selection,"
CEIS Research Paper
168, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 03 Jun 2010.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Valeria Perotti, 2011. "Estimation of ordered response models with sample selection," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(2), pages 213-239, June.
- Claudia PIGINI, 2012. "Of Butterflies and Caterpillars: Bivariate Normality in the Sample Selection Model," Working Papers 377, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Pinka Chatterji & Heesoo Joo & Kajal Lahiri, 2012. "Examining the Education Gradient in Chronic Illness," CESifo Working Paper Series 3892, CESifo Group Munich.
- Leombruni, Roberto & Razzolini, Tiziano & Serti, Francesco, 2013. "The pecuniary and non-pecuniary costs of job displacement—The risky job of being back to work," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 205-216.
- Andreas Koch & Jochen Späth & Harald Strotmann, 2013.
"The role of employees for post-entry firm growth,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 733-755, October.
- Matthias Weitzel & Wan-Hsin Liu & Andrea Vaona, 2013. "Determinants of Technology Transfer through CDM: the Case of China," Kiel Working Papers 1889, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum) or (Lisa Gilmore).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.