Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation of the Binary Response Model of Labor Market Participation
AbstractThis paper compares the familiar probit model with three semiparametric estimators of binary response models in an application to labour market participation of married women. This exercise is performed using two different cross-section data sets from Switzerland and Germany. For the Swiss data the probit specification cannot be rejected and the models yield similar results. In the German case the probit model is rejected, but the coefficient estimates do not vary substantially across the models. The predicted choice probabilities, however, differ systematically for a subset of the sample. The results of this paper indicate that more work is necessary on specification tests of semiparametric models and on simulations using these models. Copyright 1996 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft in its series Diskussionsschriften with number dp9315.
Date of creation: Dec 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gerfin, Michael, 1996. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Estimation of the Binary Response Model of Labor Market Participation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 321-39, May-June.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Song, Kyungchul, 2010. "Testing single-index restrictions with a focus on average derivatives," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 377-391, June.
- Jeff Racine, 2000. "Nonparametric Estimation of Conditional Distributions in the Presence of Continuous and Categorical Data," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0713, Econometric Society.
- Čížek, Pavel, 2012.
"Semiparametric robust estimation of truncated and censored regression models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 347-366.
- Cizek, P., 2008. "Semiparametric Robust Estimation of Truncated and Censored Regression Models," Discussion Paper 2008-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Maria Fraga O. Martins, 2001. "Parametric and semiparametric estimation of sample selection models: an empirical application to the female labour force in Portugal," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 23-39.
- Anil Kumar, 2005.
"Nonparametric estimation of the impact of taxes on female labor supply,"
0505, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Anil Kumar, 2012. "Nonparametric estimation of the impact of taxes on female labor supply," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(3), pages 415-439, 04.
- Mailu, Stephen & Wachira, Ann, 2009. "The influence of prices on market participation decisions of indigenous poultry farmers in four districts of Eastern Province, Kenya," MPRA Paper 21312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- José Miguel Benavente & David Bravo, 2010.
"Wages and Workplace Computer Use in Chile,"
4, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- König, Heinz & Lechner, Michael, 1994.
"Some recent developments in microeconometrics: A survey,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
94-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Heinz König & Michael Lechner, 1994. "Some Recent Developments in Microeconometrics - A Survey," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 130(III), pages 299-331, September.
- Norets, Andriy & Pelenis, Justinas, 2012. "Bayesian modeling of joint and conditional distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 332-346.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dmitri Koulikov, 2003. "Labor Supply of Married Females in Estonia," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 321, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Insik Min & Sheng jang Sheu & Zijun Wang, 2003. "A Monte Carlo Comparison of Various Semiparametric Type-3 Tobit Estimators," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 125-136, May.
- Cizek, P., 2007. "General Trimmed Estimation: Robust Approach to Nonlinear and Limited Dependent Variable Models (Replaces DP 2007-1)," Discussion Paper 2007-65, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Thomas R., 2010. "Conditional Cash Transfers to Improve Education and Health: An Ex ante Evaluation of Red de Proteccion Social, Nicaragua," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 10/04, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Li, Qi & Racine, Jeff, 2003. "Nonparametric estimation of distributions with categorical and continuous data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 266-292, August.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Franco Peracchi, 2007. "A sample selection model for unit and item nonresponse in cross-sectional surveys," CEIS Research Paper 95, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Anil Kumar, 2006. "Nonparametric conditional density estimation of labour force participation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(13), pages 835-841.
- Cizek, P., 2007. "General Trimmed Estimation: Robust Approach to Nonlinear and Limited Dependent Variable Models (Replaced by DP 2007-65)," Discussion Paper 2007-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ker, Alan P. & Ergun, A. Tolga, 2003. "On The Revelation Of Asymmetric Information Of The Private Insurance Companies In The Us Crop Insurance Program," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21898, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Glusstein-Gerber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.