Policy Mix Coherence: What Does it Mean for Monetary Policy in West Africa?
AbstractThis article examines the influence of Policy Mix coherence in Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). The paper innovates in two ways. First, through an interaction between the monetary conditions index and the primary structural fiscal balance, we highlight coherence-type complementarities between monetary policy and fiscal policy with regard to their effects on economic activity. Second, we show that the influence of the coherence of policy mix on the effect of monetary policy is different according to the stance of the economy within the four possible regimes of policy mix, mostly in the WAEMU subsample, where integration is deeper than in the non-WAEMU countries, thanks to the common currency (the Franc CFA) they share. The analysis is based upon a panel dataset from 1990 to 2006 and remains robust to alternative specifications used to calculate the monetary conditions index. Our results contribute to the debate regarding the prospect of an ECOWAS-wide common currency. Indeed, given the heterogeneity in the economic structure of its members States, more policy mix coherence seems necessary to avoid unexpected impacts of monetary policy on economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CERDI in its series Working Papers with number 201213.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Policy Mix; Structural Fiscal Balance; Monetary Conditions Index; Economic Community of West African States.;
Other versions of this item:
- Nasser Ary Tanimoune & Jean-Louis Combes & Rene Tapsoba, 2012. "Policy Mix Coherence: What Does it Mean for Monetary Policy in West Africa?," Working Papers halshs-00678712, HAL.
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2012-03-21 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2012-03-21 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.