Appreciation of the renminbi and urban-rural income disparity
AbstractAlthough poverty has been significantly decreased in China over the last twenty years, this decrease has been highly unequal across the provinces and has brought increased disparity in urban and rural per capita income. We studied the impact of exchange rate policy on urban-rural per capita income, which was marked by strong real depreciation before 1994 followed by moderate appreciation before stabilizing. We concluded that in the inland provinces where poverty is hardest, real appreciation has attenuated disparity whereas real depreciation had accentuated disparity. This result argues for a revaluation of the renminbi.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CERDI in its series Working Papers with number 200824.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
income inequality; real exchange rate; China; Urban-rural inequality;
Other versions of this item:
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Ping Hua, 2011. "Appreciation of the renminbi and urban-rural income disparity," Working Papers halshs-00556694, HAL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Ping HUA, 1999.
"How Does Real Exchange Rate Influence Income Inequality Between Urban And Rural Areas In China?,"
- Guillaumont Jeanneney, S. & Hua, P., 2001. "How does real exchange rate influence income inequality between urban and rural areas in China?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 529-545, April.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Ping HUA, 1999. "Taux de change réel, industrialisation et biais urbain en Chine," Working Papers 199909, CERDI.
- Jinzhao Chen, 2012. "Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth: Evidence from Chinese Provincial Data (1992 - 2008)," PSE Working Papers halshs-00667467, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00667467 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.