Poverty effects of Russia's WTO accession: Modeling "real" households with endogenous productivity effects
AbstractWe employ a computable general equilibrium model of the Russian economy to assess the impact of accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO) on income distribution and the poor. We incorporate all 55,098 households from the Russian Household Budget Survey as agents in the model. The model includes FDI in services and Dixit-Stiglitz endogenous productivity effects in imperfectly competitive goods and services sectors, features which are crucial to the results. We show that incorporating the diversity of households though a real household model is important for assessing household impacts, but getting the key model features right is equally important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oleksandr Shepotylo, 2009. "Gravity with zeros: estimating trade potential of CIS countries," Discussion Papers 16, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Gómez Plana, Antonio G. & Latorre, María C., 2013.
"When multinationals leave: A CGE analysis of the impact of divestments,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2013-45, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gómez-Plana, Antonio G. & Latorre, María C., 2014. "When multinationals leave: A CGE analysis of the impact of divestments," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 8(6), pages 1-41.
- Sebastian Rausch & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008.
"Computation of Equilibria in OLGModels with Many Heterogeneous Households,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
08/90, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Sebastian Rausch & Thomas Rutherford, 2010. "Computation of Equilibria in OLG Models with Many Heterogeneous Households," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(2), pages 171-189, August.
- Sebastian Rausch & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Computation of Equilibria in OLG Models with Many Heterogeneous Households," Ruhr Economic Papers, Rheinisch-WestfÃ¤lisches Institut fÃ¼r Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-UniversitÃ¤t Bochum, UniversitÃ¤t Dortmund, UniversitÃ¤t Duisburg-Essen 0015, Rheinisch-WestfÃ¤lisches Institut fÃ¼r Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-UniversitÃ¤t Bochum, UniversitÃ¤t Dortmund, UniversitÃ¤t Duisburg-Essen.
- William Pyle & Laura Solanko, 2013. "The composition and interests of Russiaâ€™s business lobbies: testing Olsonâ€™s hypothesis of the â€œencompassing organizationâ€," Public Choice, Springer, Springer, vol. 155(1), pages 19-41, April.
- Volker Clausen & Hannah SchÃ¼renberg-Frosch, 2009.
"Aid, Spending Strategies and Productivity Effects â€“ A Multi-sectoral CGE Analysis for Zambia,"
Ruhr Economic Papers, Rheinisch-WestfÃ¤lisches Institut fÃ¼r Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-UniversitÃ¤t Bochum, UniversitÃ¤t Dortmund, UniversitÃ¤t Duisburg-Essen
0127, Rheinisch-WestfÃ¤lisches Institut fÃ¼r Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-UniversitÃ¤t Bochum, UniversitÃ¤t Dortmund, UniversitÃ¤t Duisburg-Essen.
- Clausen, Volker & Schürenberg-Frosch, Hannah, 2012. "Aid, spending strategies and productivity effects: A multi-sectoral CGE analysis for Zambia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2254-2268.
- World Bank, 2014. "Environmental Perspective of Russia's Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Bank Other Operational Studies 17799, The World Bank.
- Nabil Annabi & Maxime FougÃ¨re & Min Li, 2011. "Foreign competition and income distribution in Canada: A dynamic microsimulation CGE Model Analysis," EcoMod2011 2922, EcoMod.
- World Bank, 2011. "Russia : Reshaping Economic Geography," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13052, The World Bank.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Arvind Subramanian & Dominique Mensbrugghe & Jianwu He, 2013. "Trade effects of alternative carbon border-tax schemes," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 587-609, September.
- Bourguignon, FranÃ§ois & Bussolo, Maurizio, 2013. "Income Distribution in Computable General Equilibrium Modeling," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
- MarÃa C. Latorre, 2009. "The economic analysis of multinationals and foreign direct investment: a review," Hacienda PÃºblica EspaÃ±ola, IEF, IEF, vol. 191(4), pages 97-126, December.
- Jensen, Jesper & Tarr, David G., 2012.
"Deep trade policy options for Armenia: The importance of trade facilitation, services and standards liberalization,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(1), pages 1-54.
- Jensen, Jesper & Tarr, David G., 2011. "Deep trade policy options for Armenia: The importance of trade facilitation, services and standards liberalization," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-33, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Luis Carvalho & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2011. "Where are the poor in International Economics?," FEP Working Papers 425, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Tarr, David G., 2012.
"Putting services and foreign direct investment with endogenous productivity effects in computable general equilibrium models,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6012, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Strutt, Anna, 2012. "The changing geography of world trade: Projections to 2030," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 303-323.
- Toon Vandyck, 2013.
"Efficiency and equity aspects of energy taxation,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa13p945, European Regional Science Association.
- Vandyck, Toon & Van Regemorter, Denise, 2014. "Distributional and regional economic impact of energy taxes in Belgium," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 190-203.
- Latorre, María C. & Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Gómez-Plana, Antonio G., 2009. "The effects of multinationals on host economies: A CGE approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 851-864, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.