Calvo Contracts - Optimal Indexation in General Equilibrium
AbstractCalvo contracts, which are the basis of the current generation of New Keynesian models, widely include indexation to general inflation. We argue that the indexing formula should be expected inflation rather than lagged inflation. This is likely to optimise the welfare of the representative agent in a general equilibrium model of the New Keynesian type. The economy's behaviour under rational indexation is similar to that of a New Classical model, with shocks producing an immediate fluctuation in both prices and output followed by a fairly rapid return to steady state. A monetary policy that targets the price level increases economic stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section in its series Cardiff Economics Working Papers with number E2007/8.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision: Oct 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Aberconway Building, Colum Drive, CARDIFF, CF10 3EU
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20874417
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874419
Web page: http://business.cardiff.ac.uk/research/academic-sections/economics/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Calvo contracts; general equilibrium; rational indexation;
Other versions of this item:
- Le, Vo Phuong Mai & Minford, Patrick, 2006. "Calvo Contracts - Optimal Indexation in General Equilibrium," CEPR Discussion Papers 5616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-04-28 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-04-28 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-04-28 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Le, Vo Phuong Mai & Minford, Patrick, 2007.
"Optimising Indexation Arrangements under Calvo Contracts and their Implications for Monetary Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Le, Vo Phuong Mai & Minford, Patrick, 2007. "Optimising indexation arrangements under Calvo contracts and their implications for monetary policy," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2007/7, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Webb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.