The Implementation of Monetary Policy in New Zealand: What Factors Affect the 90-Day Bank Bill Rate?
AbstractThis paper discusses the implementation of monetary policy in New Zealand and its flow-on effects on the 90-day bank bill rate over the 1999-2005 period. The effects of external factors are considered as well. Our findings indicate that the maturity spectrum ratio exerted a positive effect on the 90-day rate while the allotment ratio did not. This interest rate had a tendency to revert to the level set by its Australian counterpart. No such link exists between the NZ 90-day rate and the US 90-day rate. Neither the maturity spectrum nor the allotment ratio contributed to the volatility of the New Zealand 90-day rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 07/05.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 29 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: 64 3 364 2848 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
90-Day Bank Bill Rate; Open-Market Operations; Allotment Ratio; Maturity Spectrum Ratio; Foreign Interest Rate Linkage;
Other versions of this item:
- Guender, Alfred V. & Rimer, Oyvinn, 2008. "The implementation of monetary policy in New Zealand: What factors affect the 90-day bank bill rate?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-234, August.
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-11-17 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-11-17 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-11-17 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Archer & Andy Brookes & Michael Reddell, 1999. "A cash rate system for implementing monetary policy," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, March.
- Michael Woodford, 2001.
"Monetary Policy in the Information Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
8674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andy Brookes & Tim Hampton, 2000. "The Official Cash Rate one year on," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 63, June.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2000.
"A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2003. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 883-902, October.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Papers 0011, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0016, Banco de Espa�a.
- Dieter Nautz & Christian J. Offermanns, 2007.
"The dynamic relationship between the euro overnight rate, the ECB's policy rate and the term spread,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 287-300.
- Offermanns, Christian J. & Nautz, Dieter, 2006. "The dynamic relationship between the Euro overnight rate, the ECB´s policy rate and the term spread," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kuttner, Kenneth N., 2001.
"Monetary policy surprises and interest rates: Evidence from the Fed funds futures market,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 523-544, June.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2000. "Monetary policy surprises and interest rates: evidence from the Fed funds futures markets," Staff Reports 99, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Alessandro Prati, 2003.
"Cross-country differences in monetary policy execution and money market rates' volatility,"
175, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Prati, Alessandro, 2006. "Cross-country differences in monetary policy execution and money market rates' volatility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 349-376, February.
- Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003.
"The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What has Changed with the EMU?,"
22, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Quiros, Gabriel Perez & Mendizabal, Hugo Rodriguez, 2006. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 91-118, February.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 559.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The daily market for funds in Europe: what has changed with the EMU," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0313, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ian Nield, 2006. "Changes to liquidity management regime," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 69, pages 6p, December.
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jörg, 1999.
"The repo auctions of the European Central Bank and the vanishing quota puzzle,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003. "The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 207-220, 06.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2001. "The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse9_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Thomas J. Jordan & Peter Kugler, 2004. "Implementing Swiss Monetary Policy: Steering the 3M-Libor with Repo Transactions," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 381-393, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.