Testing For Deterministic And Stochastic Cycles In Macroeconomic Time Series
AbstractIn this paper we use a statistical procedure which is appropriate to test for deterministic and stochastic (stationary and nonstationary) cycles in macroeconomic time series. These tests have standard null and local limit distributions and are easy to apply to raw time series. Monte Carlo evidence shows that they perform relatively well in the case of functional misspecification in the cyclical structure of the series. As an example, we use this approach to test for the presence of cycles in US real GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University in its series Economics and Finance Discussion Papers with number 05-11.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Guglielmo Caporale & Luis Gil-Alana, 2007. "Testing for deterministic and stochastic cycles in macroeconomic time series," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 155-169, April.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-11-05 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2005-11-05 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2005-11-05 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Violetta Dalla & Javier Hidalgo, 2005.
"A Parametric Bootstrap Test for Cycles,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2005/486, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Josu Artech & Peter M Robinson, 1998. "Semiparametric Inference in Seasonal and Cyclical Long Memory Processes - (Now published in Journal of Time Series Analysis, 21 (2000), pp.1-25.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1998/359, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gregoir, St phane, 1999.
"Multivariate Time Series With Various Hidden Unit Roots, Part Ii,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 469-518, August.
- Gregoir, St phane, 1999. "Multivariate Time Series With Various Hidden Unit Roots, Part I," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 435-468, August.
- Josu Artech & Peter M Robinson, 1998. "Seasonal and Cyclical Long Memory - (Now published in S Ghosh (ed): Asymptotics, Nonparametrics and Time Series: A Tribute to Madam Lal Puri (Marcel Decker, 1999), pp.115-145.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1998/360, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John.Hunter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.