Trimming and Tapering Semi-Parametric Estimates in Asymmetric Long Memory Time Series
AbstractThis paper considers semi-parametric frequency domain inference for seasonal or cyclical time series with asymmetric long memory properties. It is shown that tapering the data reduces the bias caused by the asymmetry of the spectral density at the cyclical frequency. We provide a joint treatment of different tapering schemes and of the log-periodogram regression and Gaussian semi-parametric estimates of the memory parameters. Tapering allows for a less restrictive trimming of frequencies for the analysis of the asymptotic properties of both estimates when allowing for asymmetries. Simple rules for inference are feasible thanks to tapering and their validity in finite samples is investigated in a simulation exercise and for an empirical example. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arteche González, Jesús María & Artiach Escauriaza, Miguel Manuel, 2011.
"Doubly fractional models for dynamic heteroskedastic cycles,"
2011-03, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Artiach, Miguel & Arteche, Josu, 2012. "Doubly fractional models for dynamic heteroscedastic cycles," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 2139-2158.
- Josu Arteche, 2006.
"Semiparametric estimation in perturbed long memory series,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
22, Society for Computational Economics.
- Arteche, J., 2006. "Semiparametric estimation in perturbed long memory series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2118-2141, December.
- Arteche González, Jesús María, 2005. "Semiparametric estimation in perturbed long memory series," BILTOKI 2005-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Artiach, Miguel, 2012. "Leverage, skewness and amplitude asymmetric cycles," MPRA Paper 41267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.