Competition Law in Telecommunications and its Implications for Common Carriage of Water
AbstractAs with most water companies in the world UK water companies face very little competition for the delivery of water within their area. However, recently both the government and the regulator, Ofwat, have indicated that they wish to see a major change in the industry through a significant growth of competition. The pricing of common carriage of water will be central to whether this objective can be achieved. The aim of this paper is assess UK and European competition policy in telecommunications and the lessons that can be learnt from this for the regulation of common carriage in the water industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series The Centre for Market and Public Organisation with number 02/056.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2002
Date of revision:
anti-trust; competition policy; regulation; utilities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2003-11-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-03 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 1999.
"The practice of access pricing: telecommunications in the United Kingdom,"
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 83-98, June.
- Valletti, Tommasso M., 1999. "The practice of access pricing : telecommunications in the United Kingdom," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2063, The World Bank.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1998. "Network Interconnection in Telecommunications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 545-64, May.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1996. "Creating Competition through Interconnection: Theory and Practice," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 227-56, November.
- Cave, Martin, 1997. "The evolution of telecommunications regulation in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 691-699, April.
- Aitman, D., 2001. "Competition law constraints on access charges in the England and Wales water industry," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 129-136.
- Reto Foellmi & Urs Meister, 2005.
"Product-Market Competition in the Water Industry: Voluntary Non-discriminatory Pricing,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 115-135, June.
- Reto Foellmi & Urs Meister, 2004. "Product-Market Competition in the Water Industry: Voluntary Nondiscriminatory Pricing," Working Papers 0032, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Föllmi, Reto & Meister, Urs, 2011.
"Enhancing the Efficiency of Water Supply: Product Market Competition versus Trade,"
Economics Working Paper Series
1121, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Reto Foellmi & Urs Meister, 2012. "Enhancing the Efficiency of Water Supply—Product Market Competition Versus Trade," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 299-324, September.
- Foellmi, Reto & Meister, Urs, 2011. "Enhancing the Efficiency of Water Supply – Product Market Competition versus Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 8423, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reto Foellmi & Urs Meister, 2004.
"Enhancing Efficiency of Water Supply – Product Market Competition versus Trade,"
- Reto Foellmi & Urs Meister, 2004. "Enhancing Efficiency of Water Supply - Product Market Compoetition versus Trade," Working Papers 0025, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacqui Barton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.