Estimating the Term Structure of Interest Rates
AbstractThis paper examines various techniques used to estimate the term structure of interest rates from the prices of government bonds; in particular comparing the current Bank of England model with two approaches suggested in the academic literature. There are two main aspects of this problem: estimating the relationship between bond yields and maturity, and the relationship between bond yields and coupon. The paper outlines how these problems are approached by the three models, and compares them on both theoretical and practical grounds. It concludes that there is a trade-off between theoretical rigour and practical considerations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 24.
Date of creation: Jul 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lin, Bing-Huei & Yeh, Shih-Kuo, 2001. "Estimation for factor models of term structure of interest rates with jumps: the case of the Taiwanese government bond market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 167-197, June.
- J. Huston McCulloch & Levin A. Kochen, 1998. "The Inflation Premium Implicit in the US Real and Nominal Term Structures of Interest Rates," Working Papers 98-12, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Lin, Bing-Huei, 1999. "Fitting the term structure of interest rates for Taiwanese government bonds," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3-4), pages 331-352, November.
- Martin Evans, 2002.
"Real Risk, Inflation Risk, and the Term Structure,"
gueconwpa~02-02-10, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Jelena Zubkova, 2003. "Interest Rate Term Structure in Latvia in the Monetary Policy Context," Working Papers 2003/03, Latvijas Banka.
- J. Huston McCulloch, 2001. "The Inflation Premium implicit in the US Real and Nominal," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 210, Society for Computational Economics.
- Steeley, James M., 1997. "Implied volatility from the term structure: a simple analytical approximation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 345-352, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.