Deriving Estimates of Inflation Expectations from the Prices of UK Government Bonds
AbstractBonds with payments linked to the Retail Price Index were first issued in the United Kingdom in 1981 and now account for a significant proportion of the total UK government bond market. This paper discusses various methods by which prices of these indexed bonds can be compared with prices of conventional bonds to infer market expectations of future inflation, and in particular outlines the approach currently used to produce the inflation term structure published in the Bank of England's Inflation Report. There are a number of estimation difficulties - both theoretical and practical - in deriving such term structures and therefore a number of caveats that should be borne in mind when interpreting such measures of expectations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 23.
Date of creation: Jul 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicola Anderson & John Sleath, 2001. "New estimates of the UK real and nominal yield curves," Bank of England working papers 126, Bank of England.
- Reschreiter, Andreas, 2006.
"Indexed Bonds and Revisions of Inflation Expectations,"
199, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Andreas Reschreiter, 2010. "Indexed bonds and revisions of inflation expectations," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 537-554, October.
- Clark, Ephraim & Lakshmi, Geeta, 2004. "Sovereign debt and the cost of migration: India 1990-1992," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 111-134, February.
- Seppala, Juha, 2004. "The term structure of real interest rates: theory and evidence from UK index-linked bonds," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1509-1549, October.
- Gerardo M Licandro, 2001. "Monetary Policy Coordination, Monetary Integration and other essays," Levine's Working Paper Archive 625018000000000172, David K. Levine.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.