Offshore markets for the domestic currency: monetary and financial stability issues
AbstractWe show in this paper that offshore markets intermediate a large chunk of financial transactions in major reserve currencies such as the US dollar. We argue that, for emerging market economies that are interested in seeing some international use of their currencies, offshore markets can help to increase the recognition and acceptance of the currency while still allowing the authorities to retain a measure of control over the pace of capital account liberalisation. The development of offshore markets could pose risks to monetary and financial stability in the home economy which need to be prudently managed. The experience of the Federal Reserve and of the authorities of the other major reserve currency economies in dealing with the euromarkets shows that policy options are available for managing such risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 320.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
offshore markets; currency internationalisation; monetary stability; financial stability;
Other versions of this item:
- Dong He & Robert N. McCauley, 2010. "Offshore Markets for the Domestic Currency: Monetary and Financial Stability Issues," Working Papers 1002, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-10-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2010-10-02 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2010-10-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-10-02 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Genberg, 2009.
"Currency Internationalisation: Analytical and Policy Issues,"
312009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Hans Genberg, 2011. "Currency internationalisation: analytical and policy issues," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 221-230 Bank for International Settlements.
- Cho‐Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz‐Kin Chung, 2011.
"Funding liquidity risk and deviations from interest‐rate parity during the financial crisis of 2007–2009,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 307-323, October.
- Cho-Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz-Kin Chung, 2009. "Funding Liquidity Risk and Deviations from Interest-Rate Parity During the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009," Working Papers 0913, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Robert N. McCauley & Guonan Ma & Yin-Wong Cheung, 2009. "Renminbisation des actifs internationaux de la Chine," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 95(2), pages 135-155.
- Robert N. McCauley & Rama Seth, 1992. "Foreign bank credit to U.S. corporations: the implications of offshore loans," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 52-65.
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica Cacdac Warnock, 2006. "International Capital Flows and U.S. Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 12560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2009. "The US dollar shortage in global banking," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Toniolo,Gianni Assisted by-Name:Clement,Piet, 2007.
"Central Bank Cooperation at the Bank for International Settlements, 1930–1973,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521043700, December.
- Toniolo,Gianni Assisted by-Name:Clement,Piet, 2005. "Central Bank Cooperation at the Bank for International Settlements, 1930–1973," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845519, December.
- Dale W. Henderson & Douglas G. Waldo, 1980. "Reserve requirements on Eurocurrency deposits: implications for Eurodeposit multipliers, control of a monetary aggregate, and avoidance of redenomination incentives," International Finance Discussion Papers 164, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Eric T. Swanson & Tao Wu, 2006.
"The Bond Yield "Conundrum" from a Macro-Finance Perspective,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 24(S1), pages 83-109, December.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Eric T. Swanson & Tao Wu, 2006. "The bond yield "conundrum" from a macro-finance perspective," Working Paper Series 2006-16, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Naohiko Baba & Robert N McCauley & Srichander Ramaswamy, 2009. "US dollar money market funds and non-US banks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Aliber, Robert Z., 1980. "The integration of the offshore and domestic banking system," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 509-526, October.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 2011.
"Renminbi Going Global,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt2qn810hg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Robert N. McCauley, 2013.
"Renminbi internationalisation and China’s financial development,"
Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 101-115, May.
- Robert McCauley, 2011. "Renminbi internationalisation and China's financial development," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Barbara Fritz & Daniela Prates, 2013. "Beyond capital controls: the regulation of foreign currency derivatives markets in South Korea and Brazil after the global financial crisis," Competence Centre on Money, Trade, Finance and Development 1307, Hochschule fuer Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin.
- Dong He & Robert N McCauley, 2012. "Eurodollar banking and currency internationalisation," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Robert N McCauley & Jean-François Rigaudy, 2011. "Managing foreign exchange reserves in the crisis and after," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Portfolio and risk management for central banks and sovereign wealth funds, volume 58, pages 19-47 Bank for International Settlements.
- Qianying Chen & Andrew Filardo & Dong He & Feng Zhu, 2012. "International spillovers of central bank balance sheet policies," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Are central bank balance sheets in Asia too large?, volume 66, pages 220-264 Bank for International Settlements.
- Hyoung-kyu Chey, 2013. "The Concepts, Consequences, and Determinants of Currency Internationalization," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-03, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- World Bank & P.R.C. Development Research Center of the State Council, 2012. "China 2030 : Building a Modern, Harmonious, and Creative High-Income Society [pre-publication version]," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6057, March.
- He, Dong, 2012. "Renminbi Internationalisation: A Primer," MPRA Paper 40672, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.