Colombia's Public Finance in the 1990s: A Decade of Reforms, Fiscal Imbalance and Debt
AbstractAt the beginning of the nineties, a diversity of economic reforms were designed and implemented to reduce the size of the country's public sector with the objective of making it more efficient. Despite the reforms, ten years later, the Colombian public sector is 80% larger, and the financial sustainability of the Government presents serious problems. In 1999, Colombia's chief indicator of economic growt (GDP) was -4,3% and the unemployment rate reached 20% Such an evident dwindling of the economic activity has been accompanied rate reached 20%. Such an evident dwindling of the economic activity has been accompanied with imbalances in the macroeconomic accounts, particulary in the public sector. This paper provides a general description of Colombia's economic trends in the last few years, closely examining the factors which have undermined the country's public finances. Section II contains an overview of the fiscal imbalances registered as of the 1960s, and their relationship with both the real business cycle and the tax policy. Section III includes a synthesis of the main economic reforms introduced in the early nineties, and compares the size of the Colombian public sector with those of several neighboring countries. Section IV describes the key issues involved in the country's recent fiscal imbalance and, Section V, analyses the dynamics of the public debt and the question of its sustainability. The closing section outlines the policies for economic adjustment and reactivation currently debated in Colombia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 174.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Luis Ignacio Lozano E., 2001. "COLOMBIA'S PUBLIC FINANCE IN THE 1990s: A DECADE OF REFORMS, FISCAL IMBALANCE, AND DEBT," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002140, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley & Easterly, William, 1990. "The Economic of the Government Budget Constraint," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 127-42, July.
- Ignacio Lozano, .
"Budget Deficit, Money Growth and Inflation: Evidence from the Colombian Case,"
Borradores de Economia
537, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ignacio Lozano, 2008. "Budget Deficit, Money Growth and Inflation: Evidence from the Colombian Case," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005127, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan David Barón Rivera & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 2003. "La descentralización y las disparidades económicas regionales en Colombia en la década de 1990," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 002975, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Joaquín Mauricio Zuleta Arango & Lisandro López Marín & Daniel Sánchez García, 2010. "Descentralización Y Disparidades Económicas Territoriales En Colombia (1990-2005)," Observatorio de la Economía Latinoamericana, Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga), issue 130, April.
- Joaquín Viloria De La Hoz, 2001. "Descentralización en el Caribe colombiano: las finanzas departamentales en los noventas," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 002283, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.