The Economic of the Government Budget Constraint
AbstractThis article summarizes the simple analytics of the macroeconomic effects of government budget deficits. The presentation is organized around three key relationships: the national income accounts budget deficit identity, the deficit financing identity, and the dyamic equation for the evolution of the ratio of public debt to gross national product. The national income accounts identity highlights the effect of the deficit on domestic saving and investment and the current account. Examining the financing of the deficit brings to light the different kinds of macroeconomic imbalance of the deficit can cause--as a first approximation, printing money excessively shows up as inflation, excessive use of foreign reserves leads to crises in the balance of payments, high foreign borrowing leads to a debt crisis, and too much domestic borrowing leads to high real interest rates and crowding out to private investment. The debt dynamics equation is used to show the long-run constraints on fiscal policy. Copyright 1990 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alvaro Montenegro, 2004. "Lectura de la estadística fiscal," DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA 003137, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- World Bank, 2001. "Croatia - Regaining Fiscal Sustainability and Enhancing Effectiveness : A Public Expenditure and Institutional Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15484, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2001. "Mozambique : Public Expenditure Management Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15442, The World Bank.
- J Paul Dunne & Sam Perlo-Freeman & Aylin Soydan, 2003.
"Military Expenditure and Debt in Small Industrialised Economies: A Panel Analysis,"
0306, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Paul Dunne & Sam Perlo-Freeman & Aylin Soydan, 2004. "Military expenditure and debt in small industrialised economies: A panel analysis," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 125-132.
- Jakob Christensen, 2004. "Domestic Debt Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Aline Coudouel & Stefano Paternostro, 2006. "Analyzing the Distributional Impact of Reforms : A Practitioner’s Guide to Pension, Health, Labor Markets, Public Sector Downsizing, Taxation, Decentralization, and Macroeconomic Modeling, Volume 2," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7041, October.
- Agbonyitor, Albert D. K., 1998. "Development expenditures and the local financing constraint," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1907, The World Bank.
- J. Paul Dunne & Sam Perlo-Freeman & Aylin Soydan, 2004.
"Military expenditure and debt in South America,"
Defence and Peace Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 173-187.
- Easterly, william, 2001. "Growth implosions, debt explosions, and my Aunt Marilyn : do growth slowdowns cause public debt crises?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2531, The World Bank.
- Luis Ignacio Lozano E., 2001.
"COLOMBIA'S PUBLIC FINANCE IN THE 1990s: A DECADE OF REFORMS, FISCAL IMBALANCE, AND DEBT,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002140, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ignacio Lozano, . "Colombia's Public Finance in the 1990s: A Decade of Reforms, Fiscal Imbalance and Debt," Borradores de Economia 174, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ghani, Ejaz & Hyoungsoo Zang, 1995. "Is Ethiopia's debt sustainable?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1525, The World Bank.
- Thorne, Alfredo E. & Dastgheib, Azita, 1992. "Public sector debt, fiscal deficits, and economic adjustment : a comparative study of six EMENA countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 840, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2002. "Regaining Fiscal Sustainability and Enhancing Effectiveness in Croatia : A Public Expenditure and Institutional Review," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13993, October.
- Hong-Ghi Min, 2002. "Inequality, the price of nontradables, and the real exchange rate : theory and cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2758, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.