Price Setting in the Argentine and Colombian Manufacturing Industry
AbstractA price-setting mechanism based on a markup over variable costs is studied for the quite different inflationary experiences of Argentina and Colombia. The paper pursues a twofold strategy: first,it tests the null hypothesis of a constant markup against the alternative of a variable one; second, it checks the sensitivity of the price setting mechanism to strong shifts in the amcroeconomic environmente. The model explains price seeting during periods of moderate and high inflation in both countries. However, it is less powerful for the period of price stability in Argentina. Finally, markups seem to be constant for all types of inflationary experiences except hyperinflation. This stands in contrast to a body of literature that has found a negative relationschip between markups and inflation for OECD countries. The estimation shed light on other interesting issues: productivity has become a crucial determinant of prices for Argentianian manufacturing firms during the period of stability and opening of the economy;in contrast, the results suggest a weak impact of the opening on Colombian firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 090.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Juan Carlos Echeverry, 1998. "Price Setting In The Argentine And Colombian Manufacturing Industry," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003369, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mariano Tommasi, 1993. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 700, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "Market Structure and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 285-338.
- Kaskarelis, Ioannis A, 1993. "Inflation and the Mark-Up in UK Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 391-407, November.
- Tommasi, Mariano, 1994. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets: Toward Understanding the Effects of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1385-96, December.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1988. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benabou, Roland & Gertner, Robert, 1993. "Search with Learning from Prices: Does Increased Inflationary Uncertainty Lead to Higher Markups?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 69-94, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.