Does aid buy votes?
AbstractWe use data for 143 developing countries during the period 1980-2004 to study empirically the relationship between multilateral aid (as proxied by IDA flows) and support for US foreign policy, as measured by voting alignment at the United Nations General Assembly. Our identificaÂ¬tion strategy exploits exogenous variations in international commodity prices and natural disasters to address causality from aid to voting. Our results suggest that, even though multilateral and bilateral aid flows are both associated with greater voting alignment, the causal effect of multilateral aid is not significantly different from zero. This result is robust to controlling for other determinants of voting patterns, for unobserved heterogeneity at the country level and for common time trends.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) with number 101.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
foreign aid; UN Assembly; voting; international financial institutions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2011-08-09 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-POL-2011-08-09 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2011.
"Aid Quality and Donor Rankings,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1907-1917.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Faini, Riccardo & Grilli, Enzo, 2004.
"Who Runs the IFIs?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dreher, Axel & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Vreeland, James Raymond, 2009.
"Development aid and international politics: Does membership on the UN Security Council influence World Bank decisions?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Axel Dreher & Jan-Egbert Sturm & James Raymond Vreeland, 2007. "Development Aid and International Politics: Does membership on the UN Security Council influence World Bank decisions?," KOF Working papers 07-171, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Dreher, Axel & Jensen, Nathan M, 2007. "Independent Actor or Agent? An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of U.S. Interests on International Monetary Fund Conditions," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(1), pages 105-24, February.
- Fleck, Robert K. & Kilby, Christopher & Fleck, Robert K., 2001.
"World Bank Independence: A Model and Statistical Analysis of U.S. Influence,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
53, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Robert K. Fleck & Christopher Kilby, 2006. "World Bank Independence: A Model and Statistical Analysis of US Influence," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 224-240, 05.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Schneider, Friedrich, 1986. "Competing models of international lending activity," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 225-245, March.
- Bruno Frey, 1984. "The function of governments and intergovernmental organizations in the international resource transfer — The case of the World Bank," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 120(4), pages 702-719, December.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2005.
"IMF programs: Who is chosen and what are the effects?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1245-1269, October.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2002. "IMF Programs: Who is Chosen and What Are the Effects?," NBER Working Papers 8951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2003. "IMF Programs: Who Is Chosen and What Are the Effects?," Departmental Working Papers 2003-09, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- William Easterly & Tobias Pfutze, 2008. "Where Does the Money Go? Best and Worst Practices in Foreign Aid," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 29-52, Spring.
- Axel Dreher & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2006.
"Do IMF and World Bank Influence Voting in the UN General Assembly?,"
KOF Working papers
06-137, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2006. "Do IMF and World Bank Influence Voting in the UN General Assembly?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1724, CESifo Group Munich.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004.
"Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002. "Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Nancy Birdsall & Homi Kharas & Ayah Mahgoub & Rita Perakis, 2010. "Quality of Official Development Assistance Assessment," Working Papers id:3228, eSocialSciences.
- Mavrotas, George & Villanger, Espen, 2006. "Multilateral Aid Agencies and Strategic Donor Behaviour," Working Paper Series DP2006/02, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.