Aid quality and donor rankings
AbstractThis paper offers new measures of aid quality covering 38 bilateral and multilateral donors, as well as new insights about the robustness and usefulness of such measures. The 2005 Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness and the follow-up 2008 Accra Agenda for Action have focused attention on common donor practices that reduce the development impact of aid. Using 18 underlying indicators that capture these practices -- derived from the OECD-DAC's Survey for Monitoring the Paris Declaration, the new AidData database, and the DAC aid tables -- the authors construct an overall aid quality index and four coherently defined sub-indexes on aid selectivity, alignment, harmonization, and specialization. Compared with earlier indicators used in donor rankings, this indicator set is more comprehensive and representative of the range of donor practices addressed in the Paris Declaration, improving the validity, reliability, and robustness of rankings. One of the innovations is to increase the validity of the aid quality indicators by adjusting for recipient characteristics, donor aid volumes, and other factors. Despite these improvements in data and methodology, the authors caution against overinterpretation on overall indexes such as these. Alternative plausible assumptions regarding weights or the inclusion of additional indicators can still produce marked shifts in the ranking of some donors, so that small differences in overall rankings are not meaningful. Moreover, because the performance of some donors varies considerably across the four sub-indexes, these sub-indexes may be more useful than the overall index in identifying donors’ relative strengths and weaknesses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5290.
Date of creation: 01 May 2010
Date of revision:
Gender and Health; Development Economics&Aid Effectiveness; Economic Adjustment and Lending; Disability; Poverty Monitoring&Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knack, Stephen & Eubank, Nicholas, 2009. "Aid and trust in country systems," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5005, The World Bank.
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Christopher Kilby, 2010.
"What Determines the Size of Aid Projects?,"
Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series
10, Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2011.
"Aid Quality and Donor Rankings,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1907-1917.
- Mosley, Paul, 1985. "The Political Economy of Foreign Aid: A Model of the Market for a Public Good," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 373-93, January.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 2005. "Grants versus Loans for Development Banks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 393-397, May.
- Knack, Stephen & Rahman, Aminur, 2007.
"Donor fragmentation and bureaucratic quality in aid recipients,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 176-197, May.
- Knack, Stephen & Rahman, Aminur, 2004. "Donor fragmentation and bureaucratic quality in aid recipients," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3186, The World Bank.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2003. "New Data, New doubts: A Comment on Burnside and Dollar's "Aid, Policies, and Growth" (2000)," NBER Working Papers 9846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnab Acharya & Ana Teresa Fuzzo de Lima & Mick Moore, 2006. "Proliferation and fragmentation: Transactions costs and the value of aid," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2004. "Aid, Policies, and Growth: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 774-780, June.
- William Easterly, 2007. "Are aid agencies improving?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 22, pages 633-678, October.
- Annen Kurt & Kosempel Stephen, 2009. "Foreign Aid, Donor Fragmentation, and Economic Growth," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-32, August.
- Dollar, David & Levin, Victoria, 2006. "The Increasing Selectivity of Foreign Aid, 1984-2003," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2034-2046, December.
- Nehru, Vikram, 2012. "The World Bank and the Asian Development Bank: Should Asia Have Both?," ADBI Working Papers 385, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ronald B. Davies & Stephan Klasen, 2013.
"Of Donor Coordination, Free-Riding, Darlings, and Orphans: The dependence of bilateral aid on other bilateral giving,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
137, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Ronald B. Davies & Stephan Klasen, 2013. "Of Donor Coordination, Free-Riding, Darlings, and Orphans: The Dependence of Bilateral Aid on Other Bilateral Giving," CESifo Working Paper Series 4177, CESifo Group Munich.
- Easterly, William & Williamson, Claudia R., 2011.
"Rhetoric versus reality: the best and worst of aid agency practices,"
39139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Easterly, William & Williamson, Claudia R., 2011. "Rhetoric versus Reality: The Best and Worst of Aid Agency Practices," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1930-1949.
- Knack, Stephen, 2013. "Building or bypassing recipient country systems : are donors defying the Paris declaration ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6423, The World Bank.
- Bigsten, Arne & Tengstam, Sven, 2012. "International Coordination and the Effectiveness of Aid," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2010.
"Aid quality and donor rankings,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5290, The World Bank.
- Knack, Stephen & Smets, Lodewijk, 2012.
"Aid tying and donor fragmentation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5934, The World Bank.
- Knack, Stephen, 2012. "When do donors trust recipient country systems ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6019, The World Bank.
- Patrick Carter, 2012. "Aid Allocation Rules," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 12/630, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Amanda Glassman, Denizhan Duran, 2012. " An Index of the Quality of Official Development Assistance in Health - Working Paper 287," Working Papers 287, Center for Global Development.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler & Rainer Thiele, 2013.
"Donor coordination and specialization: did the Paris Declaration make a difference?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 537-563, September.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler & Rainer Thiele, 2011. "Donor Coordination and Specialization: Did the Paris Declaration Make a Difference?," Kiel Working Papers 1748, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nancy Birdsall & Homi Kharas & Ayah Mahgoub & Rita Perakis, 2010. "Quality of Official Development Assistance Assessment," Working Papers id:3228, eSocialSciences.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Presbitero, 2012. "Low-Income Countries and an SDR-based International Monetary System," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 129-150, February.
- Knack, Stephen, 2013. "It's only words : validating the CPIA governance assessments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6526, The World Bank.
- Knack, Stephen, 2013. "Aid and donor trust in recipient country systems," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 316-329.
- Kurt Annen & Luc Moers, 2012. "Donor Competition for Aid Impact, and Aid Fragmentation," IMF Working Papers 12/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Olofsgård, Anders & Perrotta, Maria & Frot, Emmanuel, 2013. "Aid E ectiveness in Times of Political Change: Lessons from the Post-Communist Transition," SITE Working Paper Series 25, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Paolo Pinotti & Riccardo Settimo, 2011. "Does aid buy votes?," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 101, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.