The Incidence of Reserve Requirements in Brazil: Do Bank Stockholders Share the Burden?
AbstractThere is consensus in the economic literature that the reserve requirements are a tax levied upon financial intermediation, yet the incidence of the tax remains controversial. In this paper, we test whether changes in reserve requirements in Brazil impact the stock returns of the financial system distinctly from the rest of the economy. We find evidence that Brazilian bank stock returns were affected by changes in reserve requirements on both time deposits and transaction accounts, which implies that the tax burden of required reserves was not fully passed through to banks' borrowers or clients. Stock returns of non-financial firms were also affected by these changes, suggesting that in some cases, reserve requirements on time deposits and transaction accounts served as a non-neutral instrument of monetary or fiscal policy in Brazil.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 160.
Date of creation: Feb 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
Other versions of this item:
- Fabia Aparecida de Carvalho & Cyntia F. Azevedo, 2008. "The incidence of reserve requirements in Brazil: Do bank stockholders share the burden?," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 61-90, May.
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-03-25 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-03-25 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-03-25 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bental, Benjamin & Eden, Benjamin, 2002. "Reserve requirements and output fluctuations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1597-1620, November.
- Mandelker, Gershon, 1974. "Risk and return: The case of merging firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 303-335, December.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Thurston, Thom B., 1986. "State Taxes and Reserve Requirements as Major Determinants of Yield Spreads among Money Market Instruments," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 427-436, December.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Mahir Binici & Bülent Köksal, 2013.
"Do Bank Stockholders Share the Burden of Required Reserve Tax? Evidence from Turkey,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(4), pages 46-73, July.
- Mahir Binici & Bulent Koksal, 2011. "Do Bank Stockholders Share the Burden of Required Reserve Tax? Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 1119, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Fabia A. de Carvalho & Marcos R. Castro & Silvio M. A. Costa, 2013. "Traditional and Matter-of-fact Financial Frictions in a DSGE Model for Brazil: the role of macroprudential instruments and monetary policy," Working Papers Series 336, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Glocker, Ch. & Towbin P., 2012.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Reserve Requirements,"
374, Banque de France.
- Patrice Robitaille, 2011. "Liquidity and reserve requirements in Brazil," International Finance Discussion Papers 1021, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Koray Alper & S. Tolga Tiryaki, 2011. "Zorunlu Karsiliklarin Para Politikasindaki Yeri," CBT Research Notes in Economics 1108, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2012. "Operationalising the selection and application of macroprudential instruments," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Tabak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.