Non-Parametric and Neural Network Models of Inflation Changes
AbstractPrevious studies have shown that interest rate yield spreads contain useful information about future changes in inflation. However, such studies have for the most part focused on linear models, ignoring potential non-linearities between interest rates and inflation. Using two different non-linear models, we find that the relationship between interest rate yield spreads and inflation changes for policy-relevant horizons in the United States is most pronounced at negative long-short yield spreads, and almost non-existent at positive values of the spread. These findings are consistent with studies noting asymmetric effects of monetary policy on the real economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 00-7.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Economic models; Inflation and prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2000-07-03 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MON-2000-07-03 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Sephton, 2005. "Forecasting inflation using the term structure and MARS," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 199-202.
- Martha Misas & Enrique López & Pablo Querubín, .
"La Inflación en Colombia: Una Aproximación desde las Redes Neuronales,"
Borradores de Economia
199, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Pablo Querubín, 2002. "La Inflación En Colombia: Una Aproximación Desde Las Redes Neuronales," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Pablo Querubín Borrero, 2002. "La Inflación en Colombia: Una Aproximación desde las Redes Neuronales," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003029, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2004.
"Inflation changes, yield spreads, and threshold effects,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-199.
- Greg Tkacz, 2002. "Inflation Changes, Yield Spreads, and Threshold Effects," Working Papers 02-40, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.