Competition and Efficiency in the Mexican Banking Sector
AbstractThe Mexican banking sector experienced a process of liberalization which aimed towards increasing the level of competition and efficiency. This paper studies the evolution of the efficiency of the Mexican banking sector from 2002 to 2012 and also analyses its relationship with the degree of banking competition. To do so, efficiency scores are estimated by applying the non-parametric methodology, Data Envelopment Analysis. Furthermore, the Boone Indicator is used to assess the degree of competition and included among other possible determinants of bank efficiency. The main results indicate increasing trends of efficiency in the banking sector during the period of study. Moreover, a direct relationship between banking competition and efficiency is observed. Besides, the capitalization index, market share and loan intensity increase efficiency whereas noninterest expenses and non performing loans decrease the level of efficiency. Lastly, in regards to the relative efficiency of local or foreign ownership of banks, it is found that the system s average efficiency trend is observed among both local and foreign banks, but local banks are somewhat more efficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 1329.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Boone Indicator; Mexican Banking Sector; Bank competition; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-10-18 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2013-10-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2013-10-18 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2013-10-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 2010.
"Financial Integration and Foreign Banks in Latin America: How Do They Impact the Transmission of External Financial Shocks?,"
Research Department Publications
4651, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Liliana Rojas-Suárez, 2010. "Financial Integration and Foreign Banks in Latin America: How Do They Impact the Transmission of External Financial Shocks?," IDB Publications 6780, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001.
"Does bank concentration lead to concentration in industrial sectors?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2002. "Does bank concentration lead to concentration in industrial sectors?," Proceedings 818, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel & C. Kok-Sorensen, 2007.
"A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the Euro area,"
CPB Discussion Paper
84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok S�rensen, 2011. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(23), pages 3155-3167.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian & Kok, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0768, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sørensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0736, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," DNB Working Papers 143, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Leuvensteijn, Michiel van & Bikker, Jacob A. & Rixtel, Adrian A.R.J.M. van & Kok-Sørensen, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," CEI Working Paper Series 2007-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar & Naaborg, Ilko, 2008.
"Bank efficiency and foreign ownership: Do good institutions matter?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 834-844, May.
- Robert Lensink & Aljar Meesters & Ilko Naaborg, 2008. "Bank efficiency and foreign ownership: do good institutions matter?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14283, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Boone, Jan, 2004.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Evren Ors, 2008. "The Competitive Dynamics of Geographic Deregulation in Banking: Implications for Productive Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(5), pages 897-928, 08.
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994.
"The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998. "The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994. "The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the "quiet life" and related hypotheses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Molyneux, Phil & Thornton, John, 1994. "Market structure and performance in Spanish banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 433-443, May.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia, 2009. "Testing the relationship between competition and efficiency in banking: A panel data analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 134-137, October.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Hichem Ben-Khedhiri & Barbara Casu, 2009. "What Drives The Efficiency Of Selected Mena Banks? A Meta-Frontier Analysis," Working Papers 499, Economic Research Forum, revised Aug 2009.
- Claudia Curi & Paolo Guarda & Ana Lozano-Vivas & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2011.
"Is foreign-bank efficiency in financial centers driven by homecountry characteristics?,"
BCL working papers
68, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Valentin Zelenyuk & Claudia Curi & Paolo Guarda & Ana Lozano-Vivas, 2011. "Is foreign-bank efficiency in financial centers driven by home-country characteristics?," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- DeYoung, Robert & Hasan, Iftekhar & Kirchhoff, Bruce, 1998. "The Impact of Out-of-State Entry on the Cost Efficiency of Local Commercial Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 191-203, March.
- Jesus Gustavo Garza-Garcia, 2012. "Does market power influence bank profits in Mexico? A study on market power and efficiency," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 21-32, January.
- Delis, Manthos D & Molyneux, Philip & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2009. "Regulations and productivity growth in banking," MPRA Paper 13891, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manthos D. Delis & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2009.
"Determinants of bank efficiency: evidence from a semi-parametric methodology,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 260-275.
- Delis, Manthos D & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I, 2009. "Determinants of bank efficiency: Evidence from a semi-parametric methodology," MPRA Paper 13893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephen H. Haber & Aldo Musacchio, 2013. "These Are the Good Old Days: Foreign Entry and the Mexican Banking System," NBER Working Papers 18713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tecles, Patricia Langsch & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2010.
"Determinants of bank efficiency: The case of Brazil,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1587-1598, December.
- Patricia Tecles & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2010. "Determinants of Bank Efficiency: the case of Brazil," Working Papers Series 210, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ANGIE CAROLINA SUAREZ SALAZAR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.