The Competitive Dynamics of Geographic Deregulation in Banking: Implications for Productive Efficiency
AbstractDeregulation of geographic restrictions in banking over the past 20 years has intensified both potential and actual competition in the industry. The accumulating empirical evidence suggests that potential efficiency gains associated with consolidating banks are often not realized. We evaluate the impact of this increased competition on the productive efficiency of non-merging banks confronted with new entry in their local markets and find that the incumbent banks respond by improving cost efficiency. Thus, studies evaluating the impact of bank mergers on the efficiency of the combining parties alone may be overlooking the most significant welfare-enhancing aspect of merger activity. Copyright (c) 2008 Federal Reserve Bank of New York with Exclusive License to Print by The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert DeYoung & Douglas Evanoff & Philip Molyneux, 2009. "Mergers and Acquisitions of Financial Institutions: A Review of the Post-2000 Literature," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 87-110, December.
- Céline Meslier & Donald P. Morgan & Katherine Samolyk & Amine Tarazi, 2014. "The Benefits of Intrastate and Interstate Geographic Diversification in Banking," Working Papers hal-00950504, HAL.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Fazio, Dimas M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2013. "Systemically important banks and financial stability: The case of Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3855-3866.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2013. "Estimating the degree of operating efficiency gains from a potential bank merger and acquisition: A DEA bootstrapped approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1658-1668.
- Zarutskie, Rebecca, 2013. "Competition, financial innovation and commercial bank loan portfolios," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 373-396.
- Sara G.Castellanos & Jesus G. Garza-Garcia, 2013. "Competition and Efficiency in the Mexican Banking Sector," Working Papers 1329, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2009.
"Credit Market Competition and the Nature of Firms,"
09-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.