Decentralization Measures Revisited
AbstractThe first goal of this paper is to develop a taxonomy of decentralization measures showing their relationship to the primary theoretical aspects of decentralization and how the different measures are related to each other. The second goal of the paper is to argue convincingly that from an empirical analysis perspective the aggregation of those distinct dimensions of decentralization into a single indicator inevitably leads to a loss of information and that a preferable approach in multivariate frameworks is to enter these distinct aspects of decentralization in the regression analysis separately in the most flexible functional form possible.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University in its series International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU with number paper0913.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Decentralization; Taxonomy of decentralization; measures of decentralization;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-17 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anping Chen & Nicolaas Groenewold, 2011. "The National and Regional Effects of Fiscal Decentralisation in China," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 11-18, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Libman, Alexander, 2009.
"Constitutions, Regulations, and Taxes: Contradictions of Different Aspects of Decentralization,"
15854, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Libman, Alexander, 2010. "Constitutions, regulations, and taxes: Contradictions of different aspects of decentralization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 395-418, December.
- Libman, Alexander, 2010. "Constitutions, regulations, and taxes: Contradictions of different aspects of decentralization," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 138, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
- Gu, Gyun Cheol, 2012. "Developing Composite Indicators for Fiscal Decentralization: Which Is The Best Measure For Whom?," MPRA Paper 43032, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baja Daza, Gover & Villarroel Böhrt, Sergio & Zavaleta Castellón, David, 2012.
"Diseño institucional e incentivos implicitos en la descentralización Boliviana (1994-2008)
[Institutional design and implicit incentives in Bolivia's decentralization model (1994-2008)]," MPRA Paper 48598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.