The Financing of Innovative SMEs: a multicriteria credit rating model
AbstractSmall Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) face many obstacles when they try to access credit market. These obstacles are increased if the SMEs are innovative. In this case, financial data are insufficient or even not reliable. Thus, when building a judgemental rating model, mainly based on qualitative criteria (soft information), it is very important to finance SMEs' activities. Until now, there isn't a multicriteria credit risk model based on soft information for innovative SMEs. In this paper, we try to fill this gap by presenting a multicriteria credit risk model, specifically, ELECTRE-TRI. To obtain robust SMEs' assignments to the risk classes, a SMAA-TRI analysis is also implemented. In fact, SMAA-TRI incorporates ELECTRE-TRI by considering different sets of preference parameters with Monte Carlo simulations. Finally, we carry out some real case studies, with the aim of illustrating the multicriteria credit risk model proposed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1308.0889.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision: Jun 2014
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2013-08-10 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-RMG-2013-08-10 (Risk Management)
- NEP-SBM-2013-08-10 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Nathan H. Miller & Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002.
"Does Function Follow Organizational Form? Evidence From the Lending Practices of Large and Small Banks,"
NBER Working Papers
8752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Miller, Nathan H. & Petersen, Mitchell A. & Rajan, Raghuram G. & Stein, Jeremy C., 2005. "Does function follow organizational form? Evidence from the lending practices of large and small banks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 237-269, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Nathan H. Miller & Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Does Function Follow Organzizational Form? Evidence From the Lending Practices of Large and Small Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1976, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Allen N. Berger & Nathan H. Miller & Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuran G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Does function follow organizational form? evidence from the lending practices of large and small banks," Proceedings 815, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Alfred Kleinknecht & Kees Van Montfort & Erik Brouwer, 2002. "The Non-Trivial Choice between Innovation Indicators," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 109-121.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Luigi Cannari & Francesca Lotti & Silvia Magri, 2012. "The innovation gap of Italy’s production system: roots and possible solutions," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 121, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & María Pería, 2011. "Bank Financing for SMEs: Evidence Across Countries and Bank Ownership Types," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 35-54, April.
- Chiara Pederzoli & Grid Thoma & Costanza Torricelli, 2011. "Modelling credit risk for innovative firms: the role of innovation measures," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 11031, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Doumpos, M. & Kosmidou, K. & Baourakis, G. & Zopounidis, C., 2002. "Credit risk assessment using a multicriteria hierarchical discrimination approach: A comparative analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 392-412, April.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Hanna Hottenrott, 2011.
"R&D investment and financing constraints of small and medium-sized firms,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 65-83, January.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Binz, Hanna L., 2008. "R&D Investment and Financing Constraints of Small and Medium-Sized Firm," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-047, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Moro, Andrea & Fink, Matthias, 2013. "Loan managers’ trust and credit access for SMEs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 927-936.
- Rodrigo Canales & Ramana Nanda, 2008.
"A Darker Side to Decentralized Banks: Market Power and Credit Rationing in SME Lending,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
08-101, Harvard Business School, revised Aug 2011.
- Canales, Rodrigo & Nanda, Ramana, 2012. "A darker side to decentralized banks: Market power and credit rationing in SME lending," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 353-366.
- Roy, Bernard, 1993. "Decision science or decision-aid science?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 184-203, April.
- Angilella, Silvia & Greco, Salvatore & Lamantia, Fabio & Matarazzo, Benedetto, 2004. "Assessing non-additive utility for multicriteria decision aid," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(3), pages 734-744, November.
- Mousseau, V. & Figueira, J. & Naux, J. -Ph., 2001. "Using assignment examples to infer weights for ELECTRE TRI method: Some experimental results," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 263-275, April.
- Figueira, Jose & Roy, Bernard, 2002. "Determining the weights of criteria in the ELECTRE type methods with a revised Simos' procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(2), pages 317-326, June.
- Voulgaris, Fotini & Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2000. " On the Evaluation of Greek Industrial SMEs' Performance via Multicriteria Analysis of Financial Ratios," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 127-36, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.