Irreversible investment and information acquisition under uncertainty
AbstractWe analyse the decision of an agent to invest in new industrial activities the con- sequences of which on people's health and the environment are initially unknown. The agent does not have the possibility of delaying her/his investment but s/he gets the opportunity to acquire information in order to reduce her/his uncertainty. We find that the agent always invests unless the cost exceeds the direct benefit, and does acquire information with a certain degree of precision. Moreover, we show that acquiring information can encourage the agent to make a larger investment. Likewise, we identify all factors that might modify the agent's decisions. We then discuss some political instruments that could make it easier for investors to both in- novate and acquire information. Finally, the impact of insurance on the investment and information acquisition decisions is also examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INRA, Economie Publique in its series Working Papers with number 2010/01.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: BP 01, 78850 Thiverval Grignon
Phone: 01 30 81 53 30
Fax: 01 30 81 53 68
Web page: http://www4.versailles-grignon.inra.fr/economie_publique_eng
More information through EDIRC
Grants; Information acquisition; Innovation; Insurance; Irreversible investment; Risk; Uncertainty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- H81 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Governmental Loans; Loan Guarantees; Credits; Grants; Bailouts
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Fisher, Anthony C, 1974. "Environmental Preservation, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 312-19, May.
- Henry, Claude, 1974. "Investment Decisions Under Uncertainty: The "Irreversibility Effect."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1006-12, December.
- Crabbe, Philippe J., 1987. "The quasi-option value of irreversible investment: A comment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 384-385, December.
- Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard & Gozlan, Estelle, 2003.
"A theory of environmental risk disclosure,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 377-393, March.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1980.
"The optimal production of an exhaustible resource when price is exogenous and stochastic,"
1162-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1981. " The Optimal Production of an Exhaustible Resource When Price is Exogenous and Stochastic," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(2), pages 277-88.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1978. "Call Option Pricing when the Exercise Price Is Uncertain, and the Valuation of Index Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 169-76, March.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1980. "Decision Making and the Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(2), pages 269-83, June.
- Kevin F. McCardle, 1985. "Information Acquisition and the Adoption of New Technology," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(11), pages 1372-1389, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RÃ©gis Grateau).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.