Testing similarities of short-run inflation dynamics among EU countries after the Euro
AbstractIn this paper we introduce new definitions of pairwise and multivariate similarity between short-run dynamics of inflation rates in terms of equality of forecast functions and show that in the context of invertible ARIMA processes the Autoregressive distance introduced by Piccolo (1990) is a useful measure to evaluate such similarity. Then, we study the similarity of shortrun inflation dynamics across EU-15 area countries during the Euro period. Consistent with studies on inflation differentials and inflation persistence, our findings suggest that after seven years from the launch of the Euro the degree of similarity of short-run inflation dynamics across EU countries is still weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali in its series Working Papers with number 289.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Euro; autoregressive metric; inflation dynamics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-07-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2007-07-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-FOR-2007-07-13 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2007-07-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-07-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a Currency Area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Beck, Günter W. & Hubrich, Kirstin & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2006.
"Regional inflation dynamics within and across euro area countries and a comparison with the US,"
Working Paper Series
0681, European Central Bank.
- Beck, Günter W. & Hubrich, Kirstin & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2006. "Regional inflation dynamics within and across euro area countries and a comparison with the US," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/01, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Francisco J. MartÎn-âlvarez & Victor J. Cano-FernÂndez & JosÊ J. CÂceres-HernÂndez, 1999. "The introduction of seasonal unit roots and cointegration to test index aggregation optimality: An application to a Spanish farm price index," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 403-414.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200530 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew B. Bernard & Steven N. Durlauf, 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Busetti & Lorenzo Forni & Andrew Harvey & Fabrizio Venditti, 2007.
"Inflation Convergence and Divergence within the European Monetary Union,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 3(2), pages 95-121, June.
- Busetti, Fabio & Forni, Lorenzo & Harvey, Andrew & Venditti, Fabrizio, 2006. "Inflation convergence and divergence within the European Monetary Union," Working Paper Series 0574, European Central Bank.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- Mark Holmes, 2002. "Panel data evidence on inflation convergence in the European Union," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 155-158.
- Mark Holmes, 1998. "Inflation Convergence in the ERM: Evidence for Manufacturing and Services," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 1-16.
- Hall, Alastair R, 1994. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series with Pretest Data-Based Model Selection," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 461-70, October.
- Maharaj, E.A., 1994. "A Significance Test for Classifying ARMA Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/94, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200330 is not listed on IDEAS
- Meese, Richard & Geweke, John, 1984. "A Comparison of Autoregressive Univariate Forecasting Procedures for Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(3), pages 191-200, July.
- Mojon, Benoît & Peersman, Gert, 2001. "A VAR description of the effects of monetary policy in the individual countries of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0092, European Central Bank.
- Aksoy, Yunus & De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans, 2002.
"Do asymmetries matter for European monetary policy?,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/101581, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Aksoy, Yunus & De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans, 2002. "Do asymmetries matter for European monetary policy?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 443-469, March.
- Hall, Stephen G & Robertson D & Wickens, M R, 1997. "Measuring Economic Convergence," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 131-43, April.
- Fabio FIORILLO & Agnese SACCHI, 2010. "I Want to Free-ride. An Opportunistic View on Decentralization Versus Centralization Problem," Working Papers 346, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Luca RICCETTI, 2011. "A Copula-GARCH Model for Macro Asset Allocation of a Portfolio with Commodities: an Out-of-Sample Analysis," Working Papers 355, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Elena AMBROSETTI & Eralba CELA & Tineke FOKKEMA, 2011. "The Remittances Behaviour of the Second Generation in Europe: Altruism or Self-Interest?," Working Papers 368, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Luca RICCETTI, 2010. "Minimum Tracking Error Volatility," Working Papers 340, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ugo FRATESI, 2010. "The National and International Effects;of Regional Policy Choices: Agglomeration Economies, Peripherality and Territorial Characteristics," Working Papers 344, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.