Alternative Approaches in Estimating the Economic Effects of Non-Tariff Measures: Results from Newly Quantified Measures
AbstractThis paper introduces a set of new estimates of NTM price gaps in a standard simulation model and studies the economic effects of their removal. The economic impact of removing the NTMs on footwear, wearing apparel, and processed foods are estimated and discussed using three different techniques (tariff equivalent, export tax equivalent and sand-in-the-wheels). For all of the considered sectors, NTM liberalization leads to a large increase in world trade, and an improved global welfare. Most of the gains from the elimination of NTMs accrue to the liberalizing regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 15872.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 1997. "Measurement of Non-Tariff Barriers," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 179, OECD Publishing.
- Baldwin, Robert E., 1984. "Trade policies in developed countries," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 571-619 Elsevier.
- W. Hertel, Thomas, 2001.
"Dynamic Effects of the “New Age” Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 446-484.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley & Ken Itakura, 2001. "Dynamic Effects of the "New Age" Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore," GTAP Working Papers 823, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Dean, Judith M. & Feinberg, Robert & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Ludema, Rodney, 2003. "Estimating the Tariff-Equivalent of NTMs," Working Papers 15858, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Fugazza, Marco & Maur, Jean-Christophe, 2008. "Non-tariff barriers in CGE models: How useful for policy?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 475-490.
- Liao, Christine Marie & Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2007.
"Market Access Limitations of the Philippines in the EU Market,"
DP 2007-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2007. "Market Access Limitations of the Philippines in the EU Market," Development Economics Working Papers 22679, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Salvatici, Luca & Cipollina, Maria, 2006.
"Measuring Protection: Mission Impossible?,"
18876, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Engelbert, Tanja & Brockmeier, Martina, 2012. "Analyse Des Freihandelsabkommens Zwischen Der Eu Und Indien Unter Berücksichtigung Von Nicht-Tarifären Handelshemmnissen Im Agrar – Und Ernährungsbereich," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133034, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.